Chapter 19

Eran thought back to his high school days as he sat in the high school parking lot, waiting for Riley

Eran thought back to his high school days as he sat in the high school parking lot, waiting for Riley. For some reason, he felt embarrassed to be there waiting. Perhaps it was because he was amongst mostly parents and chauffeurs. Or maybe it was because he knew that he himself looked young enough to be one of the students.

Hearing a light knocking on glass, Eran turned to find Riley tapping on the passenger's side window. Riley opened the door and sat down. He dropped his book bag onto the back seat that was, surprisingly, mostly tidy.

"Thanks for letting me know you were there normally," Eran thanked Riley for knocking before getting in.

"I did think about just popping up and startling you, but I chose to be mature since we're going to a college campus."

Eran laughed slightly. As the final bell of the day rang, he looked at Riley.

The high schooler smiled and said, "Well, off we go."

Eran smirked, thinking about how mischievous Riley was for having left school early.

After a few moments, Riley asked, "The back seat... did you do it with any girls?"

Didn't he say he decided to be mature? Such a brat. But when he glanced over, he saw Riley staring off into space without a smile. Eran decided to answer honestly. "No." Curious about Riley's reaction, he glanced over again and saw the corner of Riley's mouth twitch upward a few times. Confusing... I have no clue what this kid is thinking.

"I can't picture you with a girlfriend. Do you want one?"

"Not particularly. You're the one who goes scouting every weekend."

"Huhhhhhh?" Riley briefly looked at Eran with widened eyes. "I don't do it because I want to."

"So you do it just because your friends do it?"

"No! I go because most of the time it turns into us just hanging out. I mean, I was already getting tired of it all, even before I met you... Uh— I— um..." Riley began to stutter.

Eran felt glad but also noticed a feeling of sadness when thinking that he might've taken away Riley's former uninhibited autonomy.

"I like that I can still hang out with my friends but also spend time with you without sacrificing anything."

"Ha ha!" Eran squeezed the steering wheel in his fist. He liked that too, but at the same time, he was bothered by the strange mix of emotions he was feeling. Surprisingly, Riley was leaning against the door with his eyes closed. Eran wondered if he was dozing off. So relaxed. And here I am experiencing something mind-bogglingly strange.

 And here I am experiencing something mind-bogglingly strange