Chapter 32

"Have—" Eran paused

"Have—" Eran paused.

A nice day? Riley and Jay waited while Eran remained silent. Maybe I should say something.

"Bye," Eran said shortly and ended the call.

Jay chuckled. Riley put his phone into his pocket as he watched Eran drive away. Jay grinned meaningfully at Riley, who smirked back. "He's so fucking cute," he mouthed so only Jay could see him.

Tony didn't say a word.

"Can you come with me to talk to Elias?"

"Who?" Jay stepped closer to the hallway window to evade the shoulders of other chatting students walking past. Of course, they'd left Tony in the classroom—this wasn't the kind of subject he wanted to hear.

"Eran's friend, remember? The robot?"

"Oh, right. Why?"

"I'm just..." Riley glanced up, then back at Jay, "curious about some things concerning Eran..."

Jay raised both eyebrows. "You're going to talk to Eran's friend behind his back?"

Riley made an incredulous expression. "You're the one who suggested it!"

"I know, I know," Jay replied with an uneven smile. "I was joking." Riley pouted. "I'll come. When?"

"I need to text Elias about it to see when he's free, and it has to be a time Eran isn't with either of us."

"Is today an option?"

"Is that a preference?" The bell for homeroom rang as Riley's sentence ended. The two walked towards the classroom.

"Nope, just curious." He gestured with his eyes to Tony who was sitting by his lonesome, pocketing his cell phone.

"I'll try to find out by lunch break." On the way to his desk by the window, Riley pondered, Leaving Tony alone this afternoon would be a hassle in more than one way. He glanced at Tony who had simultaneously glanced at him. If only Tony, he smiled and watched his "friend" expressionlessly turn towards to teacher who'd just walked in, wasn't such an ass.

"Next week," Ms. Sharma began, "you'll be getting your Future Plans form that you'll turn in after the break. For those of you who've already gotten early acceptance, this form is not optional. Talk to your parents before filling out your forms, because I will be calling the homes of people who leave empty lines."

'Parents,' Riley mentally mocked.

"Any questions?"

Yeah, what if you don't have parents? Riley shifted his eyes away from all the privileged kids to look outside at the snow-covered lawn. The branches of the tree in front of him were icy and he imagined them snapping off from the weight of the winter elements.

 The branches of the tree in front of him were icy and he imagined them snapping off from the weight of the winter elements

Eran woke Saturday morning with flushed, hot skin.

"I think you have a fever," Riley deduced with a look of worry.

"You said you're going out with Jay, right?" Eran opened his eyes halfway as he kicked off the covers.

Riley had made plans to meet with Elias that afternoon. "No, I'll stay here with you."

Eran shook his head, then winced from the head pain. "I don't want you to catch it."

"I'll be fine."

"Don't make me threaten you," Eran warned weakly.

In this condition? "I'm staying with you."

"I won't kiss you for a week when I get better."

"A week?!" That kind of threat was unexpected.

"God, idiot, don't yell."

"I wasn't yelling," Riley replied half-honestly as he stroked Eran's cheek.

"Just wash your hands before you leave."

"At least let me make you something first."

"Not hungry."

"I'm not surprised, but you'll need to eat eventually."

"I made you a key," Eran muttered to the pillow.

"Huh?" Riley tilted his head slightly.

Eyes closed, Eran rolled in bed, to face Riley. "I forgot to give it to you before. It's in my bag someplace."

A key? He made me a key? A key to the apartment? I'm so happy, but why the hell am I only getting this just now? Riley covered his pout with a smile. "Thanks. If you need anything, call me."

"I l—" Eran stopped.

"What?!" 'I love you,' is that what he was about to say? Damn, fevers are awesome.

"Go away," Eran groaned, turning away and pulling the covers up to his ears. "You're so loud."

"I love you. Text me when you wake up. Call me if you need anything."

"I know, go away."

Riley smiled and left the bedroom. While making Eran soup for later, he sent Jay a text message:

'Eran's sick. Go ahead and tell Elias I'll meet you two there.'

A reply came a few minutes later: 'Waaaaat? You want me to sit alone with Alien?'

'Is that autocorrect or...?'

'My coffee your treat,' Jay replied, giving in.

Riley finished cooking and prepared a bowl for Eran to reheat. He placed a glass of diluted juice, an ice pack, and a dose of cold medicine beside the bed. Lastly, he put fresh clothes in the bathroom, and a spare set of sheets at the foot of the bed in case Eran sweat too much and decided to shower.

He hoped he'd be back before Eran needed to use any of it.

With his new key in hand, he left the apartment.