Chapter 37*

"Huh? Why are the blinds closed?" Riley questioned Eran as they walked towards Milton's Midtown

"Huh? Why are the blinds closed?" Riley questioned Eran as they walked towards Milton's Midtown. The sight of slivers of light peeking through the blinds felt strange coming from a restaurant that was usually invitingly visible from the street.

"I guess it keeps in the heat," Eran replied, pulling the confused Riley towards the door.

Riley felt Eran hold his hand only briefly before hearing a loud POP! Confetti floated to the floor.

Elias sat lazily at the bar. With zero enthusiasm, he greeted Riley, "Happy Birthday."

At the same time, Bubba was beside the bar applauding.

Jay stood next to a chair at the closest table, grinning. "Happy Birthdaaaay," he sang in a manner that sounded a bit like mocking.

Tony's absence was no surprise. It's not like I didn't already know, but it finally feels definite that our friendship has ended.

"Ah..." Riley tilted his head to the side and scratched his cheek with one finger. "Thanks."

"Why?" Jay took a step closer as he detected Riley's lack of excitement.

"Ah, no. I'm really thankful." I think this is my first birthday party in... at least ten years. But it's not like I can say that without creating a strange mood. Trying to avoiding an uncomfortable atmosphere, Riley glanced around. "So, how aren't there any customers here today?"

Bubba explained, "The past few days I've had a couple of signs giving them a heads up." He gestured with each thumb to the 'Specials' blackboard and front door. "The sign on the door said closed since after lunch up until you came." He snapped his fingers. "I need to hurry and put it back up."

He walked to the back of the kitchen and returned with a broom and hinged dustpan. Bubba shoved the tools' long handles towards Jay's hands that reflexively accepted them. Jay followed Bubba's back with startled, dismayed eyes as the owner left to officially lock up.

Reaching across the large, round table, Elias stabbed a marinated tomato out of the serving bowl with a toothpick

Reaching across the large, round table, Elias stabbed a marinated tomato out of the serving bowl with a toothpick. "Congrats on being 19. What are you going to do first?"