Chapter 8*

Why did he call me? WHY DID HE CALL ME?

These were the thoughts going through Eran's head as he stood in the police station in front of his "cousin," Riley.

The officer cleared his throat and said firmly, "If you get into trouble one more time, then we're obligated to report it to your school." He pushed down his eyebrows with a pointed look as he added, "Whether charges are pressed or not."

Both Riley and Eran looked contemplative as they left the building. I get that he's without a guardian, but why does he keep getting into fights?

"Um... thanks," Riley uttered in a dismissive, obligatory tone.

Eran turned to look at Riley and with a bit of cynicism in his voice asked, "For what?"

"...For being my cousin." Riley smirked. "I won't bother you again," he said as he turned around ready to dash off again.

Eran grabbed the hem of Riley's blazer causing the teen to come teetering back. Riley stood still but didn't turn around.

"I don't know why you're fighting, but... "

"I know. I'll stay out of trouble."

Eran bit his lip. He walked past Riley ordering, "Let's go."

"W-where?"

Eran stopped and turned around. "If you run off again, I'll break your leg."

Riley took a hesitant step forward, unsure how much Eran actually would wound him. Eran, feeling that Riley already had it tough, would have at most given him a sprain lasting a few hours.

Riley followed Eran as they walked towards the very centre of Midtown. It was only a few minutes when Eran gently pushed Riley through the doors of Milton's.

Bubba noticed Riley first. "Wel—" Eran stepped around Riley to guide him by the sleeve beside his usual spot at the bar, on the side away from the door.

Bubba gave a strange, knowing smile. "So you were late because you brought him?" He looked at Riley. "I'm Bubba and this is my restaurant."

"I'm Riley and this is my wallet," Riley replied, pointing his thumb towards Eran.

Eran grabbed his thumb and bent it in an unnatural way, but Riley pulled his hand back before it really started to hurt. He held his hand to his chest and massaged his thumb.

"Funny," Bubba started, "'cause I'm his wallet."

"Haha, really?" Riley raised one of his thick eyebrows and grinned at Eran.

"I pay..."

At about the same time, all three said "Sometimes," with Riley phrasing it as a question. At having his shortcoming exposed, Eran clicked his tongue.