Chapter 28

Riley lay on the couch in Eran's apartment and looked out of the picture window at the darkening sky

Riley lay on the couch in Eran's apartment and looked out of the picture window at the darkening sky. I wonder if it will snow tonight.

The thought of keeping warm by cuddling with Eran made Riley smile. I want him to hurry home. I want to be with him. I love him. Riley sighed. He loved Eran, and if Tony couldn't understand that, then fine. He'd thought of the possibility before confessing, so he wasn't shocked. And he didn't think he felt hurt. Looking at it from a pessimistic point of view, things went really well. But more than anything, what Riley was surprised by was the fact that he felt somewhat angry.

Like planned, it happened during lunch. Unlike planned, it was the first thing to be brought up.

"So, what did I miss?" Tony had asked facetiously, knowing he'd missed absolutely nothing during his absence, because nothing ever happened

Jay who was sitting in the middle had looked meaningfully at Riley. 'Are you going to tell him now?' he seemed to ask. The look in his eyes noted that it was a perfect opening, but there was a risk that it wasn't the right time.

Riley felt the same way, but at the time didn't know it wouldn't have mattered when he said it—Tony's reaction would have been the same. Riley took a deep breath and said casually, "Eran and I are dating."

Tony rolled his eyes. "At least say something funnier." At Jay and Riley's awkward silence, Tony waved his hand. "Give up. It already failed." He narrowed his eyes in what seemed like annoyed confusion when still neither Jay nor Riley admitted the joke.

"I love Eran," Riley had responded plainly.

"You want me to believe you're gay?" Tony scoffed.

Riley and Jay exchanged looks. "For Eran, yeah."

"Bi, technically..." Jay muttered.

Displeasure marked Tony's expression. "That's not even funny."

"That's why it's not a joke."

Tony had glared and turned to Jay. "And you're okay with this?"

Jay leaned away defensively. "It's not my affair to not be okay with." Even if it sounded somewhat neutral, the fact that Jay was already sitting closer to Riley and had leaned in Riley's direction gave Tony a clear enough idea that he didn't have an ally.