Chapter 20*

Riley stood in the office before his homeroom teacher who had called him to her desk

"You've suddenly been doing a lot better. Your grades are improving. It's like it happened overnight."

She's not going to accuse me of cheating, right? Not after a month of this.

"It isn't a bad thing. I always had a feeling you were more intelligent than your grades showed. But why the change?"

"Oh, um... I got a tutor," Riley lied, suppressing a grin. Just thinking about Eran made him fill with happiness.

"Oh?" Ms. Sharma looked surprised.

"He's pretty serious," Riley half-lied.

"Oh." She smiled. "Well, I hope you keep up the good work."

Riley nodded.

"With that, I wanted to let you know that all grade 12 students will be getting Future Plans forms soon. I mentioned them at the beginning of the year; you write down your top 3 universities for the OUAC and your career goals. You'll get it before winter break and they'll be due when you return next semester." The teacher looked at a folder. "In grade 11, you wrote you were unsure. I hope you take the holiday to think seriously about them."

I totally stopped listening after 'Future Plans forms.' I hate those. There's nothing I'm good at or interested in. If I could major in 'Eran-ology' and take up the career of being his house... husband, that'd be perfect. Graduation was coming up soon, but Riley hated feeling so unsure. Against his better judgment, he pushed the matter away into the recesses of his mind.

 Against his better judgment, he pushed the matter away into the recesses of his mind

Tony was absent, apparently at a doctor's appointment. It didn't happen infrequently; whenever Tony had any slight ailment his over-reactive mother would drag him to the doctor. Sometimes he ended up drugged up on unnecessary medicines and had to take off from school just to get his mind and body back intact.

Jay and Riley sat in their Winter season spot at lunch.

"I've been meaning to ask," Jay leaned against the wall talking with a thin stick of chocolate-covered biscuit between his teeth, "Why'd you get a tutor?"