𝟶𝟷. 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚒𝚙 𝚘𝚏 𝚍𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚖𝚜

SPARKS

chapter 01. the ship of dreams

 the ship of dreams

April 10th, 1912

・゚・。;+;☆;+;。・゚・。;+;☆;+;。・゚

  OVERLAPPING CHATTER RANG OUT across the dock at Southampton, only drowned out by the sound of steam billowing out the massive funnels perched atop the ship. Everywhere one looked, people would be holding bags and smiling brightly, after all, lives were about to change - people just did not know how much.

  As the car door opened, a delicately gloved hand extended out of it, which was quickly grabbed by one of the White Star Line's employees. Stepping out of the carriage, the young girl quickly grabbed her hand back and walked forwards. 

  She could feel her cousin's shadow behind her, but her eyes carried on looking forwards, much too entranced in the view in front of her to pay any mind to anything else.

  "I don't see what all the fuss is about," her cousin spoke out "it doesn't look any bigger than the Mauretania."

  "You can be blasé about some things Rose, but not the Titanic!" Cal Hockey spoke out, his deep voice ringing through the air "It's a hundred feet larger than the Mauretania and far more luxurious!"

  Voice's continued sounding across the area, but the girl stood her ground, her brown eyes focused on what was in front of her. It seemed as though the air had been shot right out of her lungs, her eyes were unblinking and her left hand was holding onto the hat that was perched atop her light brown hair.

  "The ship of dreams," she whispered out to herself, her soft accent followed by a scoff that emitted from the back of her throat.

  Josephine could not believe that. It did not matter that the ship was larger than any other she had known of, and it didn't matter that joy was all around her. She could not bring herself to feel glad - in fact, she could not bring herself to feel anything. 

  Losing her parents had been the last straw, nothing could impact her anymore; at least not anything that she could think of. A part of her hoped that this would change her life for the best, that maybe she would find a new life back in America. She doubted it though.

  Just because she was with her cousin Rose and her late uncle's wife, Ruth, did not mean that her future was insured. Josephine was sure that as soon as that ship landed, Ruth would no doubt try to find her a husband, just as she had done with Rose.