𝟸𝟺. 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝 𝚕𝚎𝚝 𝚐𝚘

SPARKS

24. do not let go

April 15th, 1912

April 15th, 1912

·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚

  HAND IN HAND, Josephine and Jack ran through the halls of the Titanic, their pace quick and their breaths rushed as they tried to outrun time itself. For time was the only thing they did not have. The ship was sinking faster than they could keep track of, and the thought of returning to that freezing water was one that produced a tingle of fear in Josephine's spine.

As they ran, Josephine glanced around the scene before - everything was tipped and slightly vertical, causing some of the items around them to fall from the rightful places, leaving a mess on the floors. Of course, the mess didn't matter much, as in a matter of minutes, all that beauty and elegance around them would be submerged into the North Atlantic.

As they came into the smoking-room, which neither Josephine nor Jack had ever entered before, they kept their eyes forward. That was - until the girl noticed that a man was standing near the fireplace, his eyes cast downwards in a sorrowful look.

"Mr. Andrews!" Josephine exclaimed, her hand pulling from Jack's.

"Josephine?" the man asked in confusion, his eyes snapping to Jack for a moment "why didn't you get on a boat?"

"I couldn't leave," Josephine admitted slowly "but why are you here? Won't you even make a try for it?"

"I'm sorry-" Mr. Andrews spoke weakly "that I didn't build you a stronger ship, young Josephine."

"We have to move-" Jack interrupted, his hand reaching for Josephine.

As Jack began pulling her away from him, Mr. Andrews turned to the life vest that was placed atop a chair and took it into his hands. He turned back to the couple, a pained look still in his eyes; yet he tried to disguise it with a smile.

"Wait, take this-" he spoke to Josephine.

She took it from his hands, handing it to Jack before she turned back to Mr. Andrews and pulled him into a hug. She buried her face in the crook of his neck as she felt his hands patting her shoulder lightly.

This was all so unfair. All of this suffering and loss, just because of an iceberg which was followed by a series of unfortunate events. Josephine could feel the sadness radiating off Mr. Andrews, and it pained her to know that he would not survive - that he didn't want to survive.