𝟸𝟼. 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚒𝚎

SPARKS

26. to live or to die

 to live or to die

April 15th, 1912

·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚

  "JACK! WAKE UP!" She shook him desperately, her heart sinking to the bottom of her stomach.

  This couldn't be happening - it was much too cruel of the world to do this; to lure her into a false sense of hope and then rip it all away in a matter of seconds. It was too unfair. And Josephine wouldn't believe it - she couldn't.

  "There's a boat!" she told him as she choked back a sob "you can't leave me, Jack! You were what I wished for..." her voice muttered out weakly before she closed her eyes in defeat.

  Josephine didn't know what she would do with herself if he was really gone. He had saved her from herself and if he left, she would be alone with all the scars from their relationship. His memory would surely haunt her for the rest of time, and although she knew he would always be in her heart - she wanted him in her arms as well.

  "Josie?" a voice whispered out.

  Josephine barely heard it - but she did, and her head lifted up to see that Jack was staring at her with half-closed eyes. Her hand touched his chest, feeling as it moved to the rhythm of his weak heartbeat. But he was alive, and that was enough.

  "There's a boat," she told him whilst she wiped back her tears.

  "I can barely move, Josie," he uttered out weakly.

  Her head was spinning at his words, and it was then that she knew it was her responsibility now. Whether they lived or they died was entirely up to the decision she would make in the coming minutes - and she needed to act quickly.

  "Come back!" she tried yelling at the lifeboat that had gone already "come back!"

  But it was no use, her voice was much too weak and raspy from the cold. She needed to find another solution, because she knew that there was no way she would be able to swim up to where they were, not to mention the fact that Jack was practically unmoving.

  "Just go without me," he urged her "I'm not going to make it."

  "If you think I am leaving you here then you don't know me at all," Josephine told him seriously.

  "You promised you would save yourself," Jack spoke slowly.

  "And I intend to keep that promise," Josephine assured, "but I am getting you out of here first."

  She blocked out his objections and tried to figure something out. He was right, she had promised him that she would never give up - and she had spoken true. If there was one thing that Josephine was not, it was a quitter. It was her turn to save them now, and she would do right by it.