𝟶𝟽. 𝚕𝚒𝚔𝚎 𝚛𝚘𝚢𝚊𝚕𝚝𝚢

SPARKS

07. like royalty

April 13th, 1912

April 13th, 1912

·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚

  "YOU AND MR. DAWSON LOOKED SMITTEN."

  Josephine turned her head in a flash to see that Rose was brushing her red hair and staring at her with a knowing look in her eyes. She felt her cheeks blushing at the implication that something was happening between her and Jack.

  It was undeniable that he was attractive, with tanned skin, pink lips, and blue eyes - it was hard not to stare at him. Still, she stopped her mind from going there as she realized that it would never work. The ship would dock and one way or another, they would have to go separate ways. It was best to not even entertain the possibility of romance - no matter how tempted she felt.

  "I was merely thanking him for having saved my life last night," Josephine shrugged indifferently.

  "That was not what it looked like," Rose shook her head "you should have seen the way you were looking at him - mother was furious."

  "How was I looking at him?" Josephine wondered out loud, her brows furrowing.

  "Well, I don't know," Rose replied, "like his eyes rivaled all the stars in the sky or something like that."

  "He has a kind soul," Josephine piped in from where she was seated on the bed.

  "So do you," Rose whispered "either way, you looked at him with eyes that I have never shown Cal."

  Josephine instantly felt for her cousin. Rose was an exceptional girl; she was outspoken, intelligent, and independent. But because of circumstances, it seemed like she would never be able to find true love. A fate that Josephine feared she shared.

  "Do you think that we can come to love people over time?" Josephine asked quietly.

  "I'm not sure," Rose sighed "I just know for a fact that I will never feel ardent about Cal."

  "Your mother believes it is a match made in heaven," Josephine spoke.

  "Yes, well she has a tendency to only see what benefits her," Rose shook her head, her curls bouncing lightly "god forbid she realize how miserable the both of us are."

  "We've both been melancholy haven't we?" Josephine asked rhetorically.

  Silence followed after that, with both girls picking out their dresses and helping each other get ready. Whenever they could, they much preferred to help each other than have anyone else dress them. It was a time when they could talk about what they wanted to in a safe environment.