𝟶𝟾. 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚘𝚏 𝚕𝚘𝚟𝚎

SPARKS

08. look of love

April 13th, 1912

April 13th, 1912

·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚·。;+;☆;+;。·゚

  CLASSICAL MUSIC PLAYED as Jack walked towards the first-class entrance. His heart was beating inside his chest as he tried to calm himself to the best of his abilities. Due to the suit that Mrs.Brown had lent him, Jack was able to waltz inside as if he truly belonged there, and for a moment, when the White Star Line employee opened the door for him, he felt as though he really did.

  Jack tried to control the way his eyes widened as he looked around, taking in the wooden carvings decorated with gold and the delicate sculptures of angels that were held up by marble floors. Everything was pristine, looking absolutely polished to perfection.

  He clutched his hands at his sides as his feet carried him down to where he presumed the dinner area was, seeing as everyone else was heading that way. His line of vision wandered over to the clock that was placed proudly at the start of the grand staircase, and he could not help but marvel at it.

  Once he had descended the stairs, Jack leaned his body weight against a wooden pillar that had been placed at the right end of the staircase, his breaths deepening as he watched everyone before him.

  Everywhere he looked, Jack did not see one flaw, one raised voice, or lose temper. Everyone was appearing to be calm and collected, a stark difference from the excitement that was third-class. 

  He clenched his jaw in concentration as he watched a man walk by, taking note of how he held his posture and how his arm was placed behind his back. Jack's eyes followed this man's silhouette as he brushed past him on the way to dinner and he quickly imitated what the man was doing in hopes of blending into the crowd better.

  "Take notice of these wooden carvings here-" he heard a man's voice speaking from behind him, making Jack quickly turn his head to see Cal, Mrs.Bukater, and Rose walking down the stairs.

  Just like everyone else in the room, they were dressed in their best clothes, their hair brushed back and postures straight. Jack walked towards the family, his hand extending to Cal and Mrs.Bukater, but to his surprise, they walked right past him - not even bothering to glance his way.

  Jack felt his shoulders deflate at that, his hand slowly lowering from where it had been held in the air. He heard a small laugh from behind him, and his head turned to see that Rose was looking at him with an amused look in her eyes.

  "Pardon them," she told him, her hand reaching out to shake his "Jo and I love to joke that half of these people are so obsessed with themselves that they wouldn't know if something was about to hit them in the face."