Prologue: Happiest Day

Birthdays are supposed to be happy occasions. Not for Evan Afton, though. Despite him begging not to, his father decided to host his party at Fredbear's Family Diner. It was the cheapest option, seeing as how he owned the place. Evan hated those animatronics. They terrified him.

When they arrived at the diner, Evan immediately ducked under one of the tables in the back. There he remained unseen by his family and friends. He hugged his knees to his chest and cried silently as people shuffled about, setting up the remaining decorations. He stared at the Fredbear plush that sat in front of him as tears continued to pour out of his eyes.

That's when he started to hear yelling. They must have finished putting up the decorations. "Evan! C'mon, you can't hide at your own party!" It was his sister, Elizabeth. He knew she meant well, but he couldn't come out. Not now. He already caught sight of one of the animatronics and fear was setting in.

"Psh. Get out here already crybaby! Everyone's waiting for you." He shuddered, tears flowing faster. That was Michael, his older brother calling for him now. As much as he loved his brother, he could just be so mean sometimes. Evan reached out, picking up the golden bear in front of him. Maybe hugging it would bring him some comfort.

It wasn't long until Michael found him.

"There you are, crybaby!" Michael lifted the tablecloth, revealing Evan's shaking body. Looking up, Evan realized that Michael had brought his friends along with him. They each had a different mask on, Michael bearing his usual fosk mask. Evan didn't feel the slightest bit comforted.

"Wow," the one in the blue bunny mask spoke up. "You're brother's kind of a baby isn't he?"

Michael pulled his mask to the side of his face, revealing the wicked grin spreading across his lips. "It's hilarious. Why don't we help him get a closer look? He'll love it!" He gestured behind him to the stage, where those cursed animatronics stood.

Tears blurred Evan's vision. "No! Please!"

"C'mon guys," Michael looked around at his three friends. "Let's give this little man a lift. He wants to get up close and personal!"

Before Evan could let out another sound of protest, Michael lifted him into his arms. In any other situation, Evan might have felt some comfort in his older brother holding him. But now, he thrashed about and tried to gain freedom.

"No!" He cried. "I don't want to go!"

His older brother only laughed. "You heard the little man! He wants to get even closer!"

Through his blurred vision, Evan could make out the golden bear only a few feet away now. He thrashed more against his brother, but it was no use. Panic was really setting in now. What was going to happen to him?

"Hey guys, I think the little man said he wants to give Fredbear a big kiss!" Michael peered down at his brother with pure amusement. "On three!"

Evan's eyes widened. Surely his brother was only bluffing? He wouldn't really put him so close to the face of an animatronic...

"One!"

Time seemed to slow down as his body got closer to the animatronic's mouth. Any moment now Michael would stop, right?

"Two!"

He tried to thrash once more against his brother's grip. Nothing. Tears streamed helplessly down his face.

Michael and his friends didn't even wait to say three. Evan's head was now inside Fredbear's mouth. He kicked his legs, trying to set himself free, but he couldn't do it. He let his legs go limp. This is it, he figured.

"Evan!" A booming voice shouted. Before he knew it, he was pulled free from the animatronic's mouth. He let out a loud sob of joy and relief. Looking up at his savior, he realized it was his dad. He gently patted Evan's back a few times before he set him back down on the ground.

Evan didn't even notice the animatronic's mouth now tightly clamped shut. Had he been there even a moment longer...

"Michael." His father's tone was cold, and dripping with anger. The other three teens had been smart enough to flee the scene right when William arrived. Michael stood speechless in the center of the room. He had witnessed everything, and he realized how close Evan had been to his own demise.

"Father... it was supposed to be a prank, that's all! And see, Evan's okay! I didn't mean to-"

"That's enough." William rubbed between his eyes, the stress of having children clearly getting to him. Perhaps it was time he got some help. Though, the only person he could really rely on was Henry, who had his own children to deal with. "Michael, you're grounded. Hell, more than grounded. You're going to need to be supervised at all times."

"Wh- but-! Father, I'm 18! I don't need a babysitter to-"

"Michael." His father hissed. It was his usual don't test me tone.

Michael slumped down into one of the chairs without another word.

That night, William and Henry sat in the Afton's living room, sharing a hushed conversation after the kids were put to bed.

"Well you can't just throw him out on the streets, William." Henry murmured. "He's really not that bad of a kid."

William rolled his eyes, taking a long sip from the bottle in his palm. "He nearly killed his brother today. He thought sticking him in Fredbear's mouth was funny."

Henry sighed. "He's just a kid. Kid's do stupid things sometimes, especially when their siblings are involved. Evan's alive. That's what's important."

"He needs to face some sort of punishment." He urged. "Otherwise he'll never learn his lesson."

Dealing with the Afton family's drama was always so exhausting. Henry sipped some of the alcohol in his glass. "How about what you said back at the diner? Didn't you mention getting the kids a babysitter? That could be good for all three of them."

William seemed to contemplate the thought for a moment. "Sure, why not. An 18 year-old having a babysitter would be pretty humiliating."