Adoption?

Parent-child bonding time was always something to look forward to. It meant you would tag along with your mom for lunch and didn't have to pay a cent. Plus, you enjoyed spending time with your mom.

You climbed into the passenger seat of her car (a yellow 1970 Range Rover) and the two of you set off to your destination. She was telling you about a cute little restaurant not too far away that she wanted to check out. That was perfectly fine with you, it was a nice chance to explore more of what Utah had to offer, besides a new boyfriend.

Boyfriend. Now that felt a lot better than friend. You smiled a little to yourself as the car pulled out of the driveway.

You were allowed to pick the music, which definitely meant that your mom was in a good mood today. Normally she was a control freak over the radio, and it was almost suspicious. Though, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth, right?

It wasn't long before you pulled into the restaurant. From the outside, it didn't seem like anything too crazy, but the inside seemed cozy and family-friendly. Black and white checkered tiles lined the floors and light blue puffy looking booths lined the walls. Throughout the room were tables with cute light blue chairs tucked neatly beneath them.

The place must've been popular. There were few empty tables left, and you were starting to worry that you'd have to wait. Luckily a waitress who looked to be around your age came running up and led you to a table near the back. From there, you could practically see everything.

Both you and your mom ordered drinks and the waitress dashed off to fulfill your order.

"So, dear, I wanted to ask you something..." Your heart dropped. What was wrong? Why was she being so serious? Did this have something to do with you and Michael?

She seemed to pick up on your worry and laughed. "Sweetie, it's nothing to worry about. It's just... I know you've always wanted a sibling so..."

Suddenly your face scrunched up. "Are you pregnant?"

"Goodness, no!" She looked down at her stomach as if to check. "Y/N, I wanted to ask you your thoughts about adoption."

Adoption? That was sudden. You had just moved here after all, and you were 19 years old. It felt weird to think that your mom was just going to adopt another kid. "Is it because I'm old and you think I'm going to move out soon?" You asked. "Do you feel like you're going to have an empty nest?"

She rolled her eyes. "I'm not concerned about you leaving. You have your first job at 19 years old, you won't have enough money to move out for awhile, sweetheart. I'm asking you about adoption because I think there's this boy in need of some real care. Besides, you always wanted siblings, didn't you?"

You sighed. She had a point. You had said that multiple times. But you weren't expecting it to happen now. "Where'd you even get the idea for adoption anyway?"

You watched as she pursed her lips. "Well, during your first day I wanted to scope out that William Afton's diner, and I was greeted by the sweetest young man. We started talking for a while, and he revealed to me that he doesn't have parents and lives in that diner! Can you believe it?"

"He lives there?" You tilted your head to one side. The only boy that you saw working at the diner when you visited was Gregory. Certainly that wasn't who your mom was talking about, right?

"Yes! I don't know why, but he is! I told him that he should come and stay with us for a while, but he refused." She leaned back in her seat, letting out an exasperated sigh. "He's too polite for his own good."

Your conversation was interrupted when the waitress came back, asking to take your order. The two of you made your choices and she dashed off once again. You took a long sip of your drink as you thought about what your mom was saying.

"Well, I know someone who works at the diner. Maybe he can talk to the kid and talk some sense into him? Surely he'd rather live in a house than at that diner."

Her face lit up a little. "Really? My little Y/N is making friends!"

"Mom," You groaned.

"Right, right! Well, if you talk to that friend of yours, tell him that the boy's name is... um... George? No... Garrett? That doesn't sound right." She stared down at the table in concentration and you realized who she was talking about.

"Gregory?" You offered. Her eyes lit up.

"Yes! That's it, Gregory!"

You sighed. "Well, Gregory is that friend of mine..."

She gave you a soft smile. "Even better, right? He seems like such a nice boy. The two of you would get along great!"

Thinking about it, that wouldn't be so bad. Now that you knew Gregory lived in that diner, you really wanted him to get out. The poor kid probably washed his hair with the leftover grease from the pizza. Besides, your mom had a point. Gregory was a nice kid, a nice kid that also got along well with Michael.

"Yeah, okay. I'll talk to him." You looked down at the table, and a little smile made its way to your face. Utah really was looking like an improvement, wasn't it? In just a week you managed to score the job of a lifetime, get a boyfriend, and even possibly expand your family. The only way this could get better was if your mom came home with a puppy one day.

In just a few minutes the two of you were met with steaming plates of delicious food. You hummed a little after taking your first bite. Your mom made the right decision to come to this restaurant, it was delicious. The two of you stayed there for a while, chatting about anything that came to mind.

"I was thinking about painting my room into a nice shade of blue," Your mother mused. "Blue is just such a lovely color and...."

She continued to talk, though you were distracted when a pair of familiar looking people walked past your table. You recognized the neatly combed brown hair paired with pale skin and lanky features. Standing next to him was a bigger man, with disheveled blond hair and familiar purple glasses.

What were William Afton and Henry Emily doing here? You looked between them to see they were discreetly holding hands before separating to sit across from one another in a booth. You felt your jaw drop as you stared in awe.

"Hello? Earth to Y/N?" You heard your mom call out to you. You snapped your head back to face her.

"Oh. Um... sorry. I just... thought I saw someone."

You shot another glance over at your boss and his business partner. For the first time, you saw him genuinely smiling. Admittedly, his smile still looked weird on his face, but it was kind of cute, in an old person kind of way.