Happy Endings, New Beginnings

Unlike the first time the two of you cooked, everything went smoothly. Though, you were forced to sit through another serving of beans on toast, which wasn't exactly your favorite part of the meal. The Afton siblings went about their usual shenanigans, tormenting one another with silly jokes and embarrassing stories. The dining room table was slowly becoming one of your new favorite places in Utah, right behind your boyfriend's arms.

Hell, even Gregory seemed to be making himself at home. After his and Michael's little glare-off in the kitchen, you were worried that your adoptive younger brother was going to run away or something. To your surprise, he got along just fine with Evan and Elizabeth. Apparently, he was the perfect playmate.

You spent your day watching Gregory bond with the younger two of the Afton siblings. He still acted weird around Michael, though you figured that wouldn't be fixed automatically. After breakfast was finished, you watched as the kids brought their dishes to the sink. Seeing them be responsible made your heart warm with pride.

The Afton siblings grabbed Gregory by the arms, pulling him away to presumably make him play games with them. You giggled a little as Gregory whispered a quiet plea for help, but he didn't receive any.

Michael stood, bringing his own plate to the sink as he watched you closely. "Hey, Y/N...?"

Your heart jumped for a moment. You should be used to Michael calling your name by now, surely. You decided to blame your sudden shock on the tone of voice he was using. It was low, like he didn't want anyone else to hear, and for some reason, he sounded uncertain.

"Yes, Michael?"

His eyes traced over you for a moment, like he was seeing you for the first time. It was a long moment before those glistening blue eyes met yours again, and you were really beginning to worry. Why would he hesitate? Was he still upset with Gregory? Did you do something? Was there something on your clothes?

He took a moment to clear his throat. "Are you by chance busy this weekend?"

You blinked. Okay, so, maybe he wasn't mad at you. He was just nervous to ask if you had plans.

"No, not at all. I don't have any plans."

"Good." He took your hand in his own, bringing it up to his lips. "I'd like to take you out this weekend. How does roller skating sound?"

You felt heat rise to your cheeks at the gesture. You wished you didn't have this reaction every time, but you supposed that was just par for the course in a new relationship. "Yeah, ah, roller skating sounds great."

Michael laughed a little at your reaction, earning himself a punch in the shoulder.

The day felt like it passed so quickly. Before you knew it, you were putting the kids to bed and helping Gregory into your car. Michael kissed you goodbye, and you were headed back home.

"Y/N?"

You turned your head slightly to look at Gregory, who was fiddling with a loose thread on his shirt.

"What's up?"

Sneaking another glance, you saw that Gregory had switched from messing with his shirt to biting one of his fingernails.

"Thanks. For today, I mean."

"What are you thanking me for?" You smiled, turning your focus back to the roads. "All I did was bring you here. From the sounds of it, you've been here before."

He let out a dry laugh. "When Mr. Afton originally hired me and found out I was homeless, he let me spend a few nights there. It was hell. To be honest, I never thought I would go back but..."