Act I: Enemies - A New Job

And so, the punishment had been decided. Michael, Elizabeth, and Evan were going to get a babysitter. Henry helped William make a few flyers to put up around town, and patiently awaited a call.

Meanwhile, a new family in town had just finished unloading most of their boxes from the moving truck into their home. Y/N danced around their new space, humming a little as they unpacked a few necessities.

"Hey, Y/N! Come check this out!" You raced back down the stairs to see your mom holding up the newspaper. "This just got dropped off. Looks like there's some need for work in town!"

You looked over a few of the ads. Some creepy looking diner needed help, a nightguard, to be specific. You cringed at the idea. There was a hardware store in need of a cashier, an ice cream shop in need of some workers, and a dozen other things. You sighed, turning the page.

"I know I said I'd get a summer job, but these all look so boring..."

Your mom peeked over your shoulder, glancing at the pages. You weren't even reading them anymore, just staring dejectedly at some of the pictures.

"What about this? You like kids, don't you?" She pointed at an ad for a babysitter. You looked over it. Three kids seemed like a little much, but you had to admit, the pay was pretty damn good. The ad didn't say a whole lot, just that you'd be staying in their home and watching over the three kids. There was a number for you to call if you were interested.

You shot your mother a look. "Are you sure, what if this William Afton guy is some freak murderer trying to lure me into his house with the promise of money?"

She shrugged. "He'd be a pretty bad murderer, given the cops would find him pretty quick." She pressed a kiss to your forehead.

"You'll think about it, won't you, Y/N?"

You sighed. It's not like you had a choice. You promised to help your mom pay bills. Besides, watching over kids could be fun. You didn't have any siblings of your own, so you could learn more about what having siblings was like.

"Yeah. I'll think about it mom. I'll call that William guy tomorrow."

She ruffled your hair and walked into the kitchen to continue her unpacking. You watched her silently for a moment. She had made a huge decision to move to Utah and you really hoped it would pay off. You missed your friends already, and you just got here.

You climbed the stairs back to your room, sighing as you set the newspaper down on your dresser. You stared into your mirror. Was moving to Utah really going to fix all of your problems? You shook the thought from your head. Moving to Utah was a good thing.

It wasn't long until you were called back down to spend dinner with your mom. The conversation revolved mostly around what the two of you would like to unpack tomorrow. You cleaned up the dishes and waved a "good night" to your mom, before you made your way back upstairs.

"Babysitting... huh." You said aloud, climbing into bed. You stared at the ceiling as you tried to imagine what the kids would be like.

Maybe they were triplets, and would be huge trouble makers. Maybe they were all a year apart, and they were sweethearts. What were sibling dynamics like?

After a while, you drifted to sleep, dreaming of a big happy family.

"Y/N!" A cheery voice woke you up. Groggily, you sat up to see your mom in the doorway. "C'mon! I made breakfast, sleepyhead!"

You never understood how she could be so happy this early in the morning. Scratching your hair into a somewhat less bedhead position, you made your way back down the stairs once again.

Seeing the eggs and bacon woke you up quickly. You couldn't help a grin as you began to scarf down your breakfast.

"Calm down!" Your mom giggled. "So, are you going to call that babysitting job?"

You nodded as you set the fork down. "I think it could be fun. You know... since I don't have siblings or anything."

Your mom gave you a knowing smile. "Well, that's lovely." She stuck out her thumb and pointed to the side. "Landline's over there, by the way. I'll be listening!"

You watched as she skipped off to the living room to continue unpacking. Rolling your eyes, you rinsed your plate and pulled out the newspaper from your pocket. You walked over to the landline on the wall, and with a deep breath, you dialed the numbers. You bit your lip as the phone rang.

"Hello?" You were surprised to hear a thick British accent coming through the phone.

"Um, hello! Is this William? William Afton?"

The man hummed. "Indeed, I am. Who's calling?"

"O-Oh! I'm Y/N. I saw your ad about a babysitting gig in the paper and..."

"Lovely. Y/N, was it? I'm glad you've taken an interest. You'd be the first."

Your eyes lit up a little. Did that mean you got the job?

"That's great!"

"Say, how old are you? You sound young, my dear."

You froze. Shit. Was there an age requirement? You didn't remember seeing one. Would he be okay with a 19 year-old watching his kids?

"I'm nineteen, sir."

"Please, just call me William. Nineteen you say? That's wonderful."

Adrenaline rushed through your veins. Yes!

"I'm glad you think so, sir- er, I mean, William."

Another hum. "Yes, well. Do you think you could make it here today? Just to meet the kids, of course."

Was that normal? Meeting the kids before your first day? You shook the thought off. It was a kind gesture. You think. You turn to look at your mom. Just like she promised, she was listening not too far off. She gave you a smile and a thumbs-up.

"Yes, I can!"