A Fun Day At The Park!

For a summer day in a southern state like Utah, it sure was cold. Elizabeth and Evan had put on sweatshirts over their clothes and were nice enough to let Charlie and Sam borrow two jackets. After you made sure the kids were all ready to go, the six of you set out to the park.

You had not been smart enough to bring a jacket, but who would've guessed that the weather would do something like this? You lightly rubbed the goosebumps off of your arms as all of you continued walking. Luckily, the kids didn't seem to notice as they skipped down the sidewalk ahead of you, giggling and yelling at one another.

Michael slowed his pace a little so the two of you were walking side-by-side. He eyed you for a moment before sighing. "You didn't bother to check what the weather would be like today. Of course you didn't."

"Oh zip it." You muttered, still rubbing your arms. "Why do you care anyway, jackass? I thought I was supposed to be the one taking care of you."

"I'm trying to help you, jackass." He spat the insult right back at you. By now you were just a few hundred feet away from the park, the kids already on the structures.

You turned to him. "You? Help me? All you've done since we met is call me names."

"Says the one who just called me a jackass." Sarcasm dripped from his voice. "Listen, Y/N, are you cold or what?"

That was the third time he called you by your name. You weren't sure why you had decided to keep track, but it felt like a special occasion.

"I'm fine." You huffed. Finally you had reached one of the benches at the edge of the park. You set your bag of stuff down with a sigh. You'd only have to freeze for a few hours, and as long as the kids were happy, you were happy.

You turned to look at Michael, who was pulling his gray sweatshirt off. It caught on his shirt for a second, revealing his midriff. Once again, you were staring at the Afton. Once he was free from the piece of clothing he threw it at you, successfully covering your face.

"Do you ever not stare?" He muttered. You pulled the sweatshirt off of your face and shot him a confused glare.

"What's this?" You gestured to the sweatshirt

"Um. It's a sweatshirt." Your expression hardened, and he rolled his eyes. "Oh come on, you're freezing. Even a dumbass could see that. I'll be fine without it."

Sighing, you put it on. Heat rose to your cheeks as you realized just what was happening. You were wearing Michael's clothes. As you breathed in, you caught the faint scent of cologne. Since he was taller than you, the sleeves hung off your hands awkwardly. Now it was Michael's turn to stare.

"Do you ever not stare?" You mocked him, doing your best British accent. He glared at you.

"That was a terrible impression." He took a seat down on the bench, gazing off at the kids who were laughing loudly. Readjusting the sweatshirt a little, you sat too. There were only a few inches of space between the two of you, and you were becoming painfully aware of the fact.

What was this boy doing to your poor brain? One second you wanted to punch him in the face, and the next you were thinking about how close you two were, and how easily you could kiss him. You shook those thoughts away. You were not thinking about kissing Michael Afton.

You were about to say something when suddenly loud shouts erupted from the playground. Both you and Michael stood in unison. "Hey!" Michael shouted. "Liz? Is everything okay?"

There was crying. Adrenaline rushed through your veins and panic settled over your body. What was happening?

Charlie, Sam, and Evan ran in your direction. "It's Liz!" Charlie called out. "She's hurt!"

"Michael." You whispered, trying to keep your voice from shaking. "Look."

The three kids were being chased, though none of them seemed to notice. It was a group of boys that were younger than you, but definitely older than the other three. You could see Michael grit his teeth.

"Go and get Elizabeth, I'll deal with them."

Another order. But you didn't have time to think about it. You ran off, following the sounds of crying. It didn't take you long to find her. She was sitting at the bottom of one of the slides, holding her knee.

"Oh, Elizabeth." You pulled her into a hug, glad to see that she hadn't been injured too badly. "What happened, sweetie?"

She wiped away her tears as best as she could. "They pushed me."

"Charlie and Sam?" She shook her head, sniffling.

"No. There were some boys..." More tears welled in her eyes. "They were bullying Evan at first, calling him a crybaby. I told them to stop and they pushed me to the ground."

You pressed a quick kiss to the top of her head. "That was very brave of you, Elizabeth. I'm so proud of you."

"How cute." A voice behind you sneered. You turned around, finally releasing Elizabeth from your grasp. You didn't recognize the kid that stood in front of you, but you assumed it was one of the boys that was being mean to the kids. He looked older than the ones who were chasing the others, though. Perhaps he was the 'ringleader' or something.

"It's pathetic, though, really." He laughed. "I mean, look at you. How are you a parent at such a young age? You must be a damn whore."

Your blood boiled at the comment. You stood, ready to pummel the kid, but you felt a hand rest on your shoulder.

"Back off, brat." Michael hissed. "Unless you want the same treatment that your little friends got."

He gestured behind him, where the kids from before were now holding their stomachs or limping away. Had Michael actually fought them in front of the kids he was supposed to be babysitting!? No wonder William didn't trust him.

The brat's eyes widened with realization and fear. He ran over to his friends, and the four of them fled the scene. Charlie, Evan, and Sam ran to Elizabeth to check her wounded knee. You figured Michael would join them, but to your surprise he grabbed your wrists.

"Are you okay? He didn't touch you with his filthy little hands, did he?" He was scanning your entire body as he spoke, a worried look on his face.

You shook your head. "No, he didn't."

Elizabeth seemed to recover from her injury, jumping up from her spot on the slide. "Mike! Did you really beat up a bunch of kids?" She asked. Her tone made her sound like a disappointed mother, causing you to giggle.

"Well, they were bullying my baby brother and my baby sister." He ruffled her hair. "Nobody gets away with that."

"It was so cool!" Charlie's eyes sparkled.

"He was all wham and then boom and-" Sammy rambled.

"Hang on now-" Michael cut in. "You have to promise me you won't tell your dad about that. You'll get me in trouble."

The two of them nodded in agreement. The four of them went back to playing like nothing ever happened.

You turned to Michael. "You know, that was pretty badass of you back there."

The corners of his mouth tugged into a smile. "You think so?"

"Yeah." You noticed as he rubbed his arms, trying to fight off the cold. "Cold?"

He nodded, but he didn't look at you. "Don't you dare give me my sweatshirt back, though."

"Jeez, always so bossy..." You wrapped an arm around his waist, pulling him into a side-hug.

To your surprise, he wrapped his arm around you in response.