Act II: Friends? - Protective

After a few hours, it was time to go back home so you could all eat lunch. The walk was peaceful, the kids lightly chatting amongst themselves while you and Michael walked behind them.

You weren't really sure where you stood with Michael now, but he seemed less irritable than before, so that was a plus. While the kids had been playing, you did your best to keep him warm, meaning there had been very little distance between you. He didn't talk much at all, making you worry he was uncomfortable, but he never pulled away.

You looked at him as you continued walking. His hands were in his jean pockets and he was staring straight ahead, probably lost in thought. You found yourself admiring his brown hair, his freckles, his beautiful blue eyes...

"Earth to Y/N!" You heard a voice yell. You were snapped out of your thoughts and turned to the voice. It was Elizabeth. She was looking at you expectantly. Did she ask you a question? Were you really so lost in thought that you didn't hear her?

"Ah, I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I asked what we're having for lunch! I'm starviiiiing." She rubbed her stomach for effect, making you giggle.

You were nearly back at the house now. You hummed in thought. "Well, is there anything you want for lunch?"

"Oh! Oh!" Charlie piped up this time. "Can we eat out?"

The idea sounded nice, but your wallet was not enthused with the idea of buying six meals. You were supposed to be making money while you babysat, not losing it.

"Um... Well..." You looked to Michael for help, your eyes pleading. He reached out and gently patted your back a few times.

"If you drive I'll pay." A small smile rested on his lips. He sure was smiling a lot today. You could get used to that.

"You sure? I mean, you don't have to... it'd be kind of expensive. I can't ask you to-" You were cut off by him pressing a finger to your lips.

"You talk too much. I said I would pay for it and I will." He put his hands back into his pockets.

And so, the six of you climbed into your car with only a little difficulty. Your car was an SUV (a 1981 Isuzu Trooper, to be specific), but there were still only five seats and six of you.

"We can put Michael in the trunk," Elizabeth suggested. "There's plenty of room back there."

"Absolutely not. I've done that far too many times." He hissed. You shot him a look, and he waved a hand dismissively. "Don't ask."

You pursed your lips. "Oh!" An idea suddenly came to mind. "How about you just hold Evan in your lap, Michael? He's pretty small."

The two exchanged looks for a second, and you wondered if they were communicating via some sort of sibling telepathy. Was that a real thing? After a few moments of staring, they nodded in agreement. You buckled up the three other kids in the back before climbing into the driver's seat.

Michael climbed into the passenger's seat, helping Evan get comfortable on his lap. Once they were comfortable, you pulled out of the driveway and set off down the road.

You let Michael direct you, since you were still getting used to the streets of Utah and had no idea where you were going. It didn't take long before you were pulling into a cute diner.

You helped the kids get out of their seats. Charlie, Sam, and Elizabeth were bouncing on the balls of their feet, clearly buzzing with excitement. Even Evan was grinning from ear to ear. Oh how you loved these kids.

Once you gathered your things, the six of you went inside. You let the kids order first, and once they were done they dashed off to find you all a seat. Michael ordered next, handing you the cash once he was done. He muttered something about having to use the bathroom.

"What can I get for you, beautiful?" Your heart skipped a beat as you met the eyes of the cashier. He looked a little younger than you, a big smirk on his face. He wasn't terrible looking, but he definitely wasn't your type.

You shifted your weight awkwardly as you ordered. You weren't sure the guy was even listening as he stared at you greedily, his eyes soaking in your entire appearance. After a moment, you gently put the money on the counter. Before you could pull your hand away, he pressed his hand on top of yours.

"Y'know, doll, my shift gets off here soon and-"

"Oh piss off." You felt an arm snake around your waist. You turned to see Michael glaring daggers at the cashier. If looks could kill, the poor guy would be completely obliterated. "Just do your damn job, twat."

He looked like he wanted to say something in return, but he was called back by one of his coworkers. Michael continued to glare daggers until he was out of sight.

"Are you okay?" He wasn't looking at you as he spoke.

You stared at the hand that the man touched, feeling slightly disgusted. "Yeah, it's fine. Just a little surprised, is all."

Finally Michael looked at you again. With his free hand, he ruffled your hair. "I'm sorry I wasn't here sooner." He whispered.

It felt like your head was spinning. You felt so many emotions at once. You were embarrassed, confused, nervous, the list could go on. Why the hell was Michael being nice all of a sudden? Had he really changed because of what happened at the park? Why did he care if some guy hit on you?

"The kids are waiting." He said when you didn't respond. He started to walk away when you stopped him.

"Hey." You surprised yourself with the assertiveness in your voice. He stopped and turned back to you. You gave him a smile and tucked a stray piece of his hair back behind his ear. "Thank you. Again."

"Tch." He immediately turned his head away from you, though you could've sworn you saw his cheeks go red. "Whatever."