Chapter 32: Who's to Blame

Tubes. It was the first thing I noticed when I woke up. Pain. That was the next, and not physical pain, mental. I had no update on Chris, although I'm pretty sure he died by my arms. How would William feel? Would he forgive me? I felt a tingling sensation on my left hand, it felt as if I were being touched. I looked over to my left and to my surprise, Michael was right there holding me.

I tried to say his name but all that came out was a groan. Michael perked up from this.

"Y/N? I'm so so sorry. I didn't think this would happen-I didn't want this to happen! It was supposed to just be a prank...I didn't mean for anyone to get hurt." Michaels tone sounded desperate, so my attempt to calm him down was by squeezing his hand. He quickly took notice of this gesture and broke out into sobs. Meanwhile, my right hand had bandages all over it and it looked crushed. Although, I was happy they were able to save it.

There was a swish at the door, it was William this time. His face wasn't as guilty as Michael's. He almost looked, angry. I panicked and my heart rate stared rising, he did blame me. I cleared my throat to get Michael's attention, and when he looked up that confused me even more. Michael was petrified.

"Get out of here before you kill another person I love." William yelled out coldly. I looked back at Michael and immediately felt awful. What had William been saying to him? As Michael was getting up to leave, I squeezed his hand so he wouldn't. He looked down at me and then back at William, then he wiped his tears.

"I'm sorry Y/N. I should go check on Chris anyway." Michael said seeming to be holding back sobs.

Michael then soon walked out the door, but that only raised more questions for me. Was Chris alive? Check on him...what does he mean? William then walked over to me and sat down where Michael previously was, but I couldn't help but give him a dirty look for what he said. Michael didn't mean to hurt him.

"If you're wondering about Chris, he's in a coma, they are unsure if you were able to save him." I looked down at the tile floor, holding back tears. This was my fault.

"I'm s-so-sorry." I choked out. William looked up at me in surprise.

"It's not your fault, love." William spat out the first part harshly.

"It's not Michael's either." I answered weakly, but loud enough for him to hear. He suddenly pulled his hand apart from mine and looked down at me, it almost looked like he was disgusted by my words, but I held my ground and glared right back at him.

"I'll be back later." William said angrily. He sprang up from the seat and stormed out of the room, but I wasn't as saddened as I was earlier, there was hope. Right? I shut my eyes and fell into a slumber, hoping to escape the reality of what happened.

————

"Miss L/N?" A female voice chirped at me.

"Y-yes?" I opened my eyes to see a nurse standing before me.

"How is your arm?" Hurts like a mother-fucker.

"It hurts." I groaned. She fidgeted with my IV, then injected more medicine into it.

"Update?" Was all I was able to spit out.

"Well, we needed to perform surgery on your arm, luckily, we were able to save it but you'll need to wear a cast for a while, and months of physical therapy." I meant Chris.

"When can I go h-home?" I hiccuped the last part.

"When your incisions heal. Maybe a few days." The nurse answered.

"Chris?" The nurse paused at the question.

"He needed surgery as well. He's in a coma right now, the doctors are unsure of his status. He may or may not wake up." I felt guilty, ashamed. I was warned and it still wasn't enough. What would become of William? He had already started to treat his children differently. I feared for Michael and Elizabeth, but I would worry about that later. I wanted to hope for Chris right now.

"Miss L/N, you have some people who want to visit you." I sat up from my bed.

"Okay."

The nurse opened the door and strangely, Elizabeth and Michael walked in with, Henry? My eyes widened in surprise. Why does Henry have them? What is William doing? Henry seemed to notice my shock and spoke up.

"William wanted to spend some time with Chris so he asked me to take the kids." I nodded my head in response. I looked over at the other two and felt drained. Elizabeth was not her usual energetic self. She had a sad expression on. I had never seen her sad before. For some reason, this made me lose more hope on Chris. Michael still held the guilty expression from earlier. I could tell he felt really bad, but it was too late to do anything now. We all sat in silence for a moment staring at each other until a doctor rushed into our room.

"What's wrong? Is Chris alright?" Henry noticed the eagerness of the doctor and immediately took his gaze off of me. The other two children did as well, and soon so did I. The doctor looked, happy? Why would he be happy? Unless...

"Chris is awake."