Chapter 2:

Preston High School appeared quicker than I had anticipated. The grounds were crawling with kids, so the chance of slipping in unnoticed wasn't an option. Mom turned the radio down to let me know I could either ride the bus home or try and catch a ride with Serenity or Gretchen, another good friend of mine.

Mom worked at the retirement home, the only one in Preston. Old Money as she put it, but this town and it's money would be lost without her. She did everything for that home, which meant she and I didn't get much time to spend together. My mom was a single mom. So, in order to raise a teenage daughter and provide for her, she had to work quite a few hours. I didn't mind. I enjoyed the peace of having our little house to myself, almost as much I enjoyed spending time with her.

"Okay,", I said, "I know Serenity will be glad to give me a ride home, she's been dying to see me."

Serenity Ward, aka Reni. My very best friend, was as different from me as night and day. We're both popular with the kids in our school, well... I think a lot of mine is because I literally have lived here my whole life and went to school with the same kids since preschool at Preston Christian Church, the biggest and one of the fewest churches in our town. Reni, on the other hand, is popular for many other reasons. Her father, Dr. Ward is the only Obstetrician in town, so he and his staff are the only ones that can deliver a baby here. Her mother, designs websites from the comfort of her own home, her own MASSIVE home. After all, their house is the biggest in town. She's also strikingly beautiful, with or without a drop of make-up. She finds the cutest clothes to wear because her mother takes her out of town to bigger cities to pick them out. All of these things that work in her favor, and she still is as down-to-earth as they come. Sometimes I wonder why she even bothers with me, I'm quiet and she's not, but I guess that's why we make a perfect friendship.

Since I've been gone since the summer due to my broken leg, I'm returning to school in mid-October...great. I've missed all the back to school get togethers and have yet to meet the new students walking the halls. I'll manage I'm sure, because I like to fly under the radar.

"I love you punkin, have a good day", my mom says as I reluctantly opened the door. I was too busy watching the other kids walk in that I didn't look in front of me to notice my sneaker was untied. Next thing I know, I'm on the ground, palms stinging from trying to break my fall. I felt my neck and face turn the color of a tomato in an instant and tried to scramble up quickly before anyone seen me. Mom rolls the window down "Honey, are okay?" I got up from the ground , gave her the thumbs up, and told her I loved her and not to worry. How was I gonna get through the day?