Chapter 15:

Mom actually got Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off this year and I was elated. I feel like we haven't spent much time together since I've been back to school.

"Mom, these are awesome!" She seen that I had wore her boots with fur at the top of them and got me my very own pair.

Mom really did more than I anticipated. She got me a few pair of hoop earrings, a couple pair of jeans, some really cute crop sweaters and tank tops to match, in case I felt self conscious in them. Then the usual socks, panties, and bras, because that's something she has always gotten me. She even got me a new comforter bed set for my bed. She noticed one day I was tired of the color when I kept making my bed with the plain white underside instead of the pink flowers on the other.

I usually save any money I get from birthdays and things like that, so I was able to get my mom a few gifts. She really likes to wear cardigan sweaters at work, because she gets so cold, so I bought her a beautiful light pink one made of the softest material. She beamed over that.  She really enjoys scented candles and body lotions, so I went to the department store in the mall that sells all those things and bought her body spray, body wash and a candle that matches it all.

We weren't going to eat canned beef stew for Christmas like I did for Thanksgiving, and since I didn't eat Turkey then, mom fixed one today. She fixed turkey breast, sweet potato casserole , mashed potatoes, green beans, fried apples and crescent rolls. I was stuffed to say the least. Man, I missed her cooking.

We both attempted to watch our favorite Christmas movies. I think every other movie, one of us would fall asleep and have to wake the other up for the next one.

Later on in the evening, we sat at the table having coffee and talking. Mom was real big on buying the creamer that taste like chocolate and peppermint around Christmas, so we were using it along with the coffee.

"Did you like your gifts, punkin?" Mom asked while squeezing my hand.

"I did Mom, thank you so much!" I said as I squeezed her hand right back. " I am curious as to how you got both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off?"

Mom let out a sigh and told me its because right after the holidays, Mason James would be moving to Life Guidance and she was given the extra time off, because until he's moved in and settled and made aware of what he will do during his stay, she won't be able to take any time off. Not even her normal days off. They were short-staffed and leaned on her a lot. They should have never passed her up for the Director's spot for some new girl to town, but they did. My mom works more than he does. This made me angry, but I didn't show it. I wanted to keep spending this evening with my mom, seeing since it may be my last for a while.

              **************
"Oh my gosh, Gracie, you'll never guess what Mom and Daddy got me!" Reni exclaimed. She called me shortly after 7 that night, since that was the only free time she's had in a few days.

"What did you get Ren?" I was curious.

"Well, I haven't gotten yet, because I'm still grounded until God knows when, but anyway, Daddy got me a new SUV. One with the rear cameras and everything! "

"Awesome!" I said. I was truly excited for her, but deep down I was a bit jealous. She'd be getting a second car, when I've never even received one myself. I got my license after I turned sixteen, but we can't afford a car at the moment. Since I was out due to my injury, a part time job was never feasible. Mom would let me drive at times so I wouldn't be rusty whenever it came time to get one, but I did want one of my very own.

"I miss you so much!" She continued."Daddy also said that if I continue with the streak of behaving myself and keeping my grades up,he may give me more freedom when we get back. I can't wait!" I told him the first thing I wanna do is have you spend the night.

"Sounds like fun Reni. Go back to spending time with your family, girl. I'll talk to you later!" I said.

"Bye Gracie, talk at ya later!"