Chapter 7:

The next day at school was kind of uneventful. Mom picked me up after school and we went to get some burgers and fries. We were still having some pretty decent weather so, we went to the park to eat our food and talk.

"Mom, we always talk about me, tell me something about your week so far." I asked.

"Well, we just kind of have the same old situations there, so I don't want to bore you with it. We've had a few new residents move in, so I've had to get them situated, partly the reason I had to work so long yesterday. But, please, tell me what you wanted to talk to me about."

So I went on to tell her about the program with Mrs. Salmon and contrary to how apprehensive I was a few days ago, I believe I'm going to do it. I mean what's the worse that could happen?

                         *********
Hey Reni, I told mom and she thinks Mrs. Salmon's idea is a good one and after talking with her, I think I'm going to do it. How's your night?

I wish I could say I had one like yours. Can I call?

Sure 😊

My phone rang instantly. I picked it up. Reni went on and on about something her parents did that upset her. I sat and listened, because she has siblings, but they are younger, so they can't relate to what she's going through.

"Dad is seriously making me nervous! I asked him about my Halloween party I always have right after the last regular football game and he told me he wasn't sure I could have it this year! What am I going to do? I've already gotten a few costumes and now I may not even need them!"

"Reni, slow down. Your dad didn't exactly say no. Did you ask him why?" I asked.

"No, I never really gave him the chance. Daddy always tells me yes or no. He never beats around the bush. I got so mad I stormed up to my room."

" Well give it some time and maybe he will give you an answer soon. Until then calm down, and I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Alright", she whined and I laughed.

I told her I needed to go and get ready for bed.

                **************
First thing Thursday morning, I went to Mrs. Salmon's class. I was nervous, but excited to tell her the good news.

"Hey, Mrs. Salmon, just wanted to come say hi and let you know I thought about what you asked me. I think I'd like to be a part of the student assistance program."

She looked elated. "Grace, that's wonderful! I think any student here would benefit from having you in their corner!"

"Okay well, I better get to History. I'll see you later."

The rest of the day went fast and before I knew it, it was time to go to Spanish, the first class I have with Reni. I hope she had calmed down from the night before.

I went in and of course, she was there before me, talking and being her animated self. I gave her a huge smile, because I figured she had some good news for me.

"Daddy told me this morning I could have my party tomorrow!"

"Did he say why he wasn't for sure at first?" I'd asked.

"He thought that he and my mom had to take a business trip this weekend, but it's for the following weekend. "

"Well, that's awesome, Reni, but there's one problem. I don't have a costume." I said

Reni with sheer delight said "Oh, I can fix that!"