96| a book

DEREK

I was sitting on the couch reading a book until I heard a door close. I turned around to see Meredith walking towards me with her head down.

"Meredith?" I said as she walked closer to me.

She came over to where I was sitting and crawled into my lap wrapping her arms around my waist and her head on my chest.

I put my arm around her shoulder and the other on her back. She started shaking and when I looked down at her I could see that she was crying.

"Meredith, what's wrong?" I asked her as I rubbed her make in soothing circles.

She didn't answer and continued to cry.

After a few minutes, she had calmed down. I continued to rub her back as she wiped her eyes and sniffled.

"What was that about?" I asked her softly

"I read a book" she replied as she laid her head back down on my shoulder.

"A book?" I asked her, I knew her hormones were going to make things like this happen, but a book?

"Yea"

"What kind of book?" I asked trying not to laugh at her.

"Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover" she answered

"I told you to stop reading her books," I told her as I rubbed her hair that was slicked back into a ponytail. I told Meredith not too long ago to stop reading her books because she kept crying over them.

"I know but I wanted to read it" she pouted looking up at me.

"You look like Blythe" I smiled before kissing her pouty lips.

"No, Blythe looks like me," she said before standing up, straightening out her dress and fixing herself.

"No more reading sad books, okay?" I say to her as she turns around to look at me.

"Well, how am I supposed to know they're sad until I read them?" She asks smirking slightly

"Anything my Colleen Hoover," I tell her standing up.

"Well unless you want me to read porn.." she says

"You can only read porn or sad books?" I asked her, I don't know why she can't just read happy books.

"Yes" she replies

"Why don't you just read romance or something?"

"Because what's the point in romance if there's no porn?"

"You're crazy," I told her

"Maybe...but..that's okay" she sighed before covering her mouth and running towards the bathroom.

"Meredith?" I said but she didn't answer.

I walked into the bathroom where I saw her hunched over the toilet vomiting. I got down on my knees right next to her, rubbing her back and typing her hair back into a low ponytail.

After a few minutes, she finished. She sat up and wiped her mouth with a tissue before leaning her head on my chest.

"I forgot you were pregnant for a second" I whispered in her ear before wiping the tears from her cheeks with my thumb.

"You what?" She asked looking up at me

"I forgot you were pregnant" I smiled before leaning down and kissing her forehead.

"How are we gonna tell the kids?" She asked

"The same way we told them about Lia and Blythe," I told her, pushing her curtains bands out of her eyes.

"They weren't that happy about that" she glared back at me.

"Well... Christopher wasn't mad"

"He was two, he didn't even know what getting a little sister meant" she rolled her eyes.

"Daphne and Eloise were happy"

"Because they were excited to have another little sister"

"What wrong with that?"

"Daphne and Eloise tease Lia all the time"

"Well, they really believe in tough love"

"All all the kids seem to"

"The kids will be fine with another sibling. The boys have gotten used to it as has Ellis and the other kids are still young so they won't really know how annoying the baby will be until it's born" I told her as she started to try and get up.

I stood up helping her stand up, she put her hands on my shoulders, stabilizing herself.

"You okay?" I smiled as her eyes look back at mine.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said before smoothing out her dress and pulling the long sleeves over her hands.

"Are you cold?" I asked, walking back into the bad room with her as she shivered.

"A little, but I'll just put my coat on" she walked out of the bedroom and sat down on the couch with my grey coat around her shoulders.

"Your coat? That's my coat" I said sitting down next to her.

"It's thicker than mine," she said pulling the front tighter before leaning on my side, pulling her knees to her chest.

"Are you scared to have another baby?" She asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Not really, we already have everything under control with our kids. All of our kids are well-behaved exert for maybe Lia and Blythe but they're not that crazy, and Christoper always listens to you if you say something. So I think we'll be okay" I wrapped my arm around her shoulder.

"And I think Ellis will be happy to have another baby in the house" I added.

"I don't really think she'll care, she's used to having a lot of siblings" Meredith said closing her eyes.

"Yea, but I don't always want her to have to help or her feel like she always has to help"

"Then if we need help we'll call someone else," Meredith said as she started to fall asleep.

"We'll call my mother, she really enjoys children" I kissed her head and her head relaxed against my chest and she fell asleep.