ᴍᴏᴍᴇɴᴛꜱ ᴛᴏ ᴄʜᴇʀɪꜱʜ

Pregnancy hormones were taking a toll on Nithya. She was getting tired for no reason and was feeling hungry throughout the day. But she wasn't able to eat anything completely. After a few bites, she would feel nauseous and then throw up everything that she had eaten.

Raghav and Sharadha were taking care of her like a newborn baby. Her parents visited her daily and brought her favorite food and snacks. The doctors had suggested her to take complete rest, during the first trimester as it was an early pregnancy. Nithya couldn't object to this as her parents were very strong in following the doctor's words. She took leave and stayed home.

Raghav tried to opt for a work-from -home option and stayed home along with Nithya. But due to the work pressure, he couldn't get one. Having no other choice, he went to the office daily. His project was nearing the completion stage, which made him work for 10 hours a day. He came home late at night, completely drained.

"Hi ma.. did you have dinner?" Raghav asked his mother as soon as he returned home around 9:50 PM.

"Yes da. You go and freshen up. I'll reheat the food." Sharadha replied.

"Did Nithya eat well?"

"No Raghav. As usual she ate one chapati and vomited everything. She said she would wait for you, but I asked her to take a nap now."

"Why is it troubling her so much, maa..." He asked his mother worriedly.

"It's common da. For some people these symptoms will be there till the sixth month. For some, there can be mild symptoms only. We have to go through this." Sharadha replied with a sad smile.

Raghav sighed and went inside his room. Nithya was sleeping peacefully and he didn't want to disturb her. He silently went to the washroom and took a shower.
Sharadha had set the dinner table in the meantime.

"Is the project making you stressful?" Sharadha asked him as she caressed his hair.

"Yes ma.. many of my team members are on leave. Even my team leader is on leave. So all the responsibilities have fallen on my head making me go mad. I don't get time to meet Vicky at the office. We're in the same office just for a namesake. But the reality is it's been more than a week since I met him.  And here Nithya is suffering..." Raghav replied helplessly.

"I understand da. Try to take timely breaks. Don't work at a stretch and get restless." Sharadha suggested. Raghav hummed in response.

"And don't worry about Nithya. We are here to look after her." She smiled and Raghav hugged his mother.

"Okay ma.. you go and sleep. I'll clear the table."

"No no.  You're already tired. You go and sleep. If Nithya wakes up at night hungry, I've kept a few candies here.. ask her to have it." She said and he agreed to it.

After having dinner, Raghav plugged his mobile in the charger and went to bed. When he was about to turn off the night lamp, he heard her voice.

"Raghav..." Nithya called him sleepily.

"Did I wake you up?" He asked her as he went near her side of the bed.

She nodded her head negatively and opened her arms for him. Raghav smiled and hugged her. He placed a kiss on the top of her head.

"How are you, Nithya?" He asked her without breaking the hug.

"Missing you..." She replied as she tightened her hold.

"Awww.. few more days, after that I'll be free. If possible I'll work from home or take leave and stay with you." He replied with a smile.

"Today amma came here." Nithya told him.

"Athai is coming here everyday right?" He asked and she knocked his head.

"What?"

"Let me complete what I was trying to say." She said and he nodded his head.

"As this is our first pregnancy, she told me that I should be staying there. Ever since we announced the news, Amma has been asking me to come there and stay with them. But Athai said that she wants me to stay here at least till the baby shower." She said and Raghav started guessing what she was trying to tell him.

"Today, amma came here and said that there is an auspicious day coming up at the start of next month. She wants me to take there on that day it seems." Nithya told him with teary eyes..

"I told her that I want to stay with you and athai.. Anyways mom and dad are seeing me every other day, and what makes a difference in staying there and here... But she didn't agree with my words. This time, even Athai didn't support me in this." She started crying after saying this. Credits to her mood swings! She wasn't even in a state to believe that they are going to stay in the same place just a few feet away.

"Nithya..."

"Please Raghav, please don't ask me to go there." She pleaded him. He couldn't help but chuckle at her cuteness.

"Hey medico! What makes you feel that you would miss me if you stay there?" He asked her calmly.

"I can't see you often. I'll miss chatting with athai.. and I..." She didn't know what to say further but she would miss him terribly.

"Listen... It is our tradition that every woman should stay at her parent's place for her first delivery. In fact you are really lucky to have your parents stay very close to you! Just imagine if your parents had been in Kanchipuram with your extended family or we lived in a different city, then you can say that you would miss me. Now everything is perfect na? Like your parents came and visited you, amma will also come and visit you daily. I promise you that!" He said and she looked down sadly.

"What about us?"

"Coming to us, I'm already busy with my projects and not able to spend time with you. You're here and me not being able to look after you is giving me more stress. If you stay there, I can at least be peaceful that parents will be taking care of you throughout the day and it will give you a change of mind. I'll come and visit you every day after work. I'll take you for a walk! Do you remember? After our first fight you had told me that you're missing the old us? Let us bring back those memories... I'll try to text you whenever possible and we can spend time at night." Raghav told her calmly.

Nithya's face brightened with a hopeful smile.

"Thank you, techie." She said and kissed his cheeks soundly.

"Are you feeling hungry? Amma said you didn't eat properly." He asked as he caressed her flat stomach.

"Yeah.. I'm hungry." She pouted.

Raghav went out and brought a few candies that his mother had kept ready. Nithya popped in and felt a bit better.

"You must be tired, Raghav. Sleep now..." She asked him as it was already late.

"I will sleep when I feel sleepy." He replied with a smile, holding her hand.

To be continued.