C h a p t e r 7

A/N: I just wanted to announce that this series is officially going to be a trilogy, as well as the fact that I just reached 2 million on "Theirs to Claim" this morning!!! I'm so so happy about it, and so grateful to have all of you guys as my readers. It feels like not too long ago when I was thanking you for 10 thousand. Either way, I love you all and I hope you have an amazing rest of your day/night ♡

 Either way, I love you all and I hope you have an amazing rest of your day/night ♡

Chapter 7 : Madelyn
Thursday, November 24th, 2022

I didn't really have the choice of saying no as Natasha spun on her heel, walking out of the room with the basic assumption that I would follow. 

Slipping out of bed, despite the pajamas, I strode down the hall after her, shutting my door behind me at the last minute. 

She was silent as she led me to God knows where, but when we walked straight past my father's closed door of his office, I genuinely had no clue where she was taking me. When Natasha finally slowed her pace so I could catch up, I realized it was barely contained excitement she was experiencing.

That told me something was really bad. 

"Do I even want to know what you're doing right now?" I cave and ask, brushing some of my hair behind my shoulders before my one hand dropped to my left hip. 

When I realized what I was unconsciously doing, I moved my hand away entirely. 

"You've shown your loyalty to the Resistance for the last year now," She began, and my stomach churned at where I suspected this would be going. 

There was no way in hell I would be getting their tattoo behind my ear if that's what I was here for. 

"But what you did yesterday, saving your father like that... we all saw the rage you had for what they did to you, and that's the exact kind of passion we need right now." 

I forced my face into a mask of neutrality instantly at her words, not letting myself show a sign of the fact that it was less about Xavier shooting me and more about the fact that he was attempting to take the only family I had left away from me to begin with... after promising to leave him unharmed.

I guess that promise expired over the course of this year.

Instead of voicing this, though, I simply said, "Thank you," forcing myself to be as sincere as I could fathom. 

Those two words earned me a true smile from the woman at my side, and when we finally stopped before a door about five minutes away from my room, I knew whatever was behind it was something I didn't want to see. 

"Yesterday, while you and your father were taking care of the funeral, we sent out a second mission of our most skilled soldiers to a different location, one we kept disclosed from the general public." 

My heart began to race slightly as she drew a key from her pocket, no doubt to unlock the silence behind the still closed room. 

I waited for her to open the door, but she looked at me first.