C h a p t e r 21

A/N: I promise to return on June 18th with what I'm hoping can be a double or triple update in apology. Thank you all for your patience and understanding! I look forward to seeing you all again soon <3 

Pt. 1 of the double update.

Chapter 21 : MadelynWednesday, November 30th, 2022

Wednesday, November 30th, 2022

I stood still at the door with my bag resting against my thigh, realizing just how real this agreement was between us at Caleb's words of welcome. 

I was here to live with them now, something we didn't even do when we were together. A week would be the longest time I've ever been in their company, and I could tell they were a hell of a lot more excited about it than me.

"Well are you three going to come down here or continue to stare like I'm some sort of a commodity?" I raise my eyebrow with a bit of a teasing intent, watching as they turn to come down the stairs so incredibly in sync you'd think they'd planned it.

It was then I realized all of them were dressed up entirely in black form-fitting clothing, a kind that made them look lethal yet didn't restrict their mobility in the least. 

The cloth seemed to hug their muscles all the way down to the V of their waists, their belts securing the material of their cargo pants as they fit slightly looser than the tops.

"Did you enjoy making us wait, princess?" Alec smirks as he walks over and takes my bag from me, his mouth brushing gently against my cheek as he does so. 

Fuck, it was a bad idea coming here and thinking I could keep my sanity in the process.

"I'm what?" I question, making a point of looking at the clock and taking my time to ponder. "Ten minutes late or something like that?"

It hadn't necessarily been intentional, but after my conversation with Lev, I'd managed to speak to my father for a couple minutes about my temporary move. 

I didn't want to be secretive so I just went out and said it, and you can imagine my surprise when I found he had none. 

"I think that's really good, kid. We'll call off your assignment with Rob Oliver, and focus on keeping you safe—"

I pretty much spent the ten minutes responsible for being late convincing him I was fine and that watching Oliver would be nothing more than a cakewalk. The throb of my stomach seemed to disagree particularly in this moment, reminding me that I needed to take another few Advils before heading to bed.

The three men in front of me, however, didn't look like they'd be doing the same anytime soon.

"Well you're here now, but we don't have time to speak to you about what we needed to now." Alec sighs absently, walking over to Xavier and pushing the handle of my duffel bag into his hands. "Why don't you get her settled upstairs and we'll make sure everything's in place outside."