C h a p t e r 20

A/N: For those of you who haven't seen my most recent Instagram story, I would just like to let you know that there is now a prequel in the making for this book series featuring the key moments in Madelyn, Caleb, Alec, and Xavier's childhoods before they found peace in each other. It's going to be about 10-15 chapters (about the size of a novella), and I plan to write it a bit over the summer and publish it as a completed book all at once when it's finished. Just wanted to let you know since I think it's kind of exciting!!

 Just wanted to let you know since I think it's kind of exciting!!

Chapter 20 : Madelyn
Wednesday, November 30th, 2022

I had almost no time to shove away from Xavier before I was running, barely managing to make it to their bathroom before the contents of what I'd eaten last night came up. 

"Shit." I heard someone curse in the background before two hands were tugging carefully at my hair, pulling it back for me as my hands gripped the edges of the toilet seat. For once, I accepted their help gratefully as my body heaved, my skin growing hot from both embarrassment and nausea.

After a few seconds, I was able to realize it was Alec who had made it to me quickest, the other two at the door but still giving me privacy until I was able to slump back against the wall, wiping my mouth with a folded piece of toilet paper. 

"Sorry." I groaned as I tossed it in before the sound of the flush went off, bringing my knees up to my chest like it could hide me. 

I thought getting out of the Keep would've been able to grant me even the slightest bit of reprieve from my constant anxiety, but I was now coming to terms with the fact that I was sorely wrong. 

My eyes fluttered close as the back of Alec's hand pressed gently against my forehead, only pulling away once he was sure I wasn't about to hurl again. 

"No apology necessary, Mads." He whispered under his breath, dropping out of his crouch so he could take a seat beside me, moving into the exact same position as I was. 

I knew because I felt his arm brush against mine, the heat of his body warming me despite how cold I suddenly became. 

"This feeling okay?" He asks in the same quiet tone as my eyes open slowly, seeing that he's looking down at where Xavier's bullet had gotten me just about a week ago. 

The stitches were completely out now, but it didn't stop me from shivering as Alec's finger brushed ever so carefully against my skin, the touch almost apologetic and concerned. 

"It's healing." I answer, my eyes not averting from him yet traveling to the red spots that were now blooming across the left side of his face. 

I was to blame for that. 

I'd managed to get him good during my anger earlier in the kitchen, and while I felt a little bad about it now, I still held very little regret for my actions overall.