C h a p t e r 34

A/N: Thank you all for sticking with me and being so patient. It's just been a really hard few months and it can be hard to see the brighter future with so much going on. 

On a better note, though, I've started my editing phase of Theirs to Claim with hopes of getting it published physically one day. I think my interest in writing is starting to come back a little bit, and it's helping with my motivation a little (ie. making merch and trying to write longer chapters). Either way, thank you guys for being here. It just makes things feel a little lighter.

Chapter 34 : CalebThursday, December 8th, 2022

Chapter 34 : Caleb
Thursday, December 8th, 2022

I sense a pair of eyes lingering on me as I slowly wake from my drug induced state, feeling floaty above all else thanks to the meds currently pumping throughout my body.

It took me a while to become aware of the presence of this someone else, however as I rolled over onto my good side, I knew without a doubt in the world who it was.

My darling.

The sight of her curvy silhouette was all I could make out in the dark, her arms crossed over her midsection like she was physically trying to hold together the broken pieces of her soul. Whatever words I could've once managed escaped me in this moment, wishing I could take away her pain with a single touch.

With my mind clearing, I begin to notice the more subtle hints of her grief; the slight trembles to her body, the shaky intakes of breath, her hesitancy to look at me.

Madelyn Adams was so painfully my everything, along with the dissolving walls of her heart.

"Cal—" Her voice breaks before she can even manage to utter my name, the action of me lifting the bedsheets speaking as a silent invitation for her to join. Even with the stressed seconds of hesitation, I listen as soft footfalls land against the carpeted floor, her scent warming me the moment she wordlessly nestles into my side.

My arm doesn't even get the chance to fully wrap around her before Madelyn's sobs consume the little space between us, breaking free and wracking her body in a way that tore into the vulnerability she's suppressed for so long.

I knew it was coming, we all did, but what was even worse was that I knew this barely even brushed the surface of the pain bottled up inside of her.

"I've got you, darling." I whisper into her hair as she merely clutches me harder, my chest growing wet with her tears. Madelyn had been holding on for so long because it was the only way she knew how to survive, but something about this moment was different from all of the ones before; chapters of our past were finally coming to a close.

"I hate you!" Madelyn cried against me, unable to stop now that she'd begun. "Caleb, I hate you so fucking much." She continued, but even she knew her words were growing shallow with each tremble expelled from her body.