C h a p t e r 25

Content Warning: A whole bunch of sadness, but don't lose hope! Things start to get a lot better from here on out... or I suppose after chapter 26, but we're almost on the road to recovery!!

 or I suppose after chapter 26, but we're almost on the road to recovery!!

Chapter 25 : Madelyn
Thursday, December 1st, 2022

"Tell me, sweetheart, what do you know about Rob Oliver?" Xavier's voice curled deep within me, confirming it was Kara and Imani on the phone. 

Shit.

I watched as realization flashed in both Caleb and Alec's eyes at the same time their stares shot back to me, not just curiously but accusingly.

Double shit.

"Who?" I tried to play it off casually, even though we all knew it was bullshit and that I had just been caught red handed. 

Their presence alone demanded for me to answer to them, to bend to their wills and give up everything I knew, but fuck that.

I didn't care if they saw right through my lies of feigning innocence. I wasn't going to back down if it came to an argument.

Feeling Caleb's arm shift against my side as he twisted to look at me better, Xavier let out a low chuckle in disbelief and amusement, clearly not even considering that I was capable of escaping his soldiers... twice might I add. 

That's right, asshole. I'm the reason your stupid mission has failed the last two times. 

"Well shit, princess." Alec raised his eyebrows in something akin to amusement above all else as he tipped his head down to mine, seeming a hell of a lot more interested in the phone call now that he knew I was the reason for it. "Things really have changed since we last saw you, haven't they?" 

I just scoffed as I curled my fingers around the edge of the counter, shifting forward and forcing him back so I could slip back onto my feet to stand on the ground. 

He didn't go far, though, making me severely aware of the fact I was currently pinned in just my bra and underwear, smirking to myself as I let my hands drop to between us to tease at the hem of his shirt. 

"Congrats, Alec." I smiled up at him falsely as sarcasm dripped from my tone, slipping the tips of my fingers under the annoyingly soft fabric hugging his body. "It only took you two weeks to figure out something I've already told you repeatedly." I continued, making it clear my expression was all an act, tugging hard all of a sudden and forcing his arms to lift so I could steal his clothes.

Mine were still covered in blood, and I wasn't going to let my current state give them an edge over me. 

Holding his eyes, I stared into lustful swirls of green as I slipped the shirt still warm from his body over my head, allowing the material to fall loosely over me while ignoring how much it smelled like him.