C h a p t e r 18

Content Warning: There are a few consensual-non consent (CNC) comments in this chapter. It's all just talk, but I still wanted to give the forewarning.

Mature Content Warning 🌶️

Chapter 18 : MadelynWednesday, November 30th, 2022(1:00am)

Wednesday, November 30th, 2022
(1:00am)

I stumble back into the small studio apartment I've become acquainted with these last few days, clutching onto my stomach where I would no doubt bruise within the hour. 

My steps dragged along with my body as I slammed the door closed behind me, a scream bubbling in my throat as the lights turned on suddenly, an action not caused by my own hand. 

"Took you long enough." Lev raised an eyebrow at me as he sat there comfortably on my couch, just lounging back as though he were counting the minutes it took for me to screw up.

"Shut it." I grumbled, unzipping the heavy black coat I was wearing before chucking it at his face, little bits of snow flying off of the material and hitting him before he could catch it. The second he pulled the jacket down, he was smiling, forcing an eye roll from my exhausted body.

Fate seemed to have it that I was no longer unemployed, but the work my father has given me at my request was anything but what Xavier, Caleb, and Alec wanted. 

It was perfect, and even with the ache in my bones rolling and spreading through me, the adrenaline high of the job and the act of defying them was so worth it.

"You try fighting off a professionally trained assassin and see how well you manage." I pant, shuffling my feet over to the incredibly small bathroom in this place. 

The fact that it even had a shower with closed walls around it was something to celebrate, though. 

"It was a woman too, which means she'd probably kick your ass within seconds." I smile to myself as I slide the door closed behind me, hearing a grumble of inaudible words on the other side.

So yeah, it turns out what I'm doing is a tad bit more dangerous than cleaning glasses at a nightclub, but really, what did they expect me to do?

It's only been a handful of hours since I last saw the men that broke my heart over a year ago, however the good note we left on yesterday couldn't last forever. 

We all knew that, so I just figured I'd speed up the process a little. 

Taking shifts every once and a while being some old man's bodyguard seemed like a pretty good way to do it. I didn't know his real name, he didn't know mine. 

All that I knew was that sixty-five year old John Doe was being targeted by someone higher up either here in the city or from his hometown down south. Whoever it was clearly wasn't that good though considering the people who were sent didn't come close to touching him on my watch.