C h a p t e r 11

Chapter 11 : MadelynSaturday, November 26th, 2022

Saturday, November 26th, 2022

"We just want you, darling. Nothing more."

Those words went through my head for what felt like a million times, tearing the stitches around my heart straight open just to leave me bleeding all over again.

That's what it felt like in my silence, Caleb leaving after he touched my cheek and saw that there was nothing for me to say.

He made it sound like he still loved me after all this time, and it left me shell shocked and confused.

Now alone in Alec's room, it didn't matter that the handcuffs had been removed from my wrist. I was still trapped here, and I hated it. Caleb had left me to dwell in the thoughts I haven't had in months, being seized by rage, hurt, and sadness too many times for me to comprehend.

Not having people to fight or Kia to lose myself in, I was truly left with no other company, no other distractions, than myself.

Honestly, it sucked.

I've been stuck in this room for at least an hour now, and while I could barely breathe while I was handcuffed, this room was still suffocating, no matter how ridiculously spacious it may be.

I could feel myself going stir crazy, and I eventually chose to just move out of bed entirely, testing the waters as I carefully applied some weight to my feet. Keeping a grip on the bedside table, I winced as all of my blood rushed down to my legs, swaying slightly at the feeling of the skillfully wrapped bandages tightening under my weight.

They felt funny, almost numb, but whatever Alec did was done correctly.

I hadn't known how much he knew about injuries, however with a job in the mafia, I suppose it would make sense.

He would do well in his position as Don one day, even if he wanted it just about as badly as Xavier had. Despite the fact that our time together last night had been short, I could feel the change in him—the way he held himself and the masks he's perfected down to each and every breath he takes.

It was weird seeing him so composed around me of all people, yet again, to anyone else in the mafia I would've been seen as the enemy in their territory. I probably would've been shot dead before I could even get the chance to enter the property.

That was a whole lot of emotions I didn't really want to get into right now, though. No, my only focus were the windows before me, the glass door to Alec's balcony looking quite welcoming despite the light falling of snow outside.

Once I'd regained enough of my balance, I walked over to it, not going outside but simply looking—looking at the truth right before my eyes.

Past the faint reflection of myself were the city tops of New York, the streets already alive despite the god awful time it was in the morning.