Chapter 12

Vytal Festival Fairgrounds

As the Laat landed at the landing area near the fairgrounds, (Y/n) got a good look at the festivities going on at the surface in Vale. Seeing this atmosphere kind of reminded him of when he was undercover in a city and was in the middle of the festivities of the Empire's national holiday, Empire Day. Granted, it was forced participation for the people of the galaxy on imperial worlds and the main attraction was the military parade followed by showing off new toys for the Imps to play with and for them to blow up in the future, but hey, beggars can't be choosers. Seeing a festival that celebrated something different instead of military prowess, however, was a nice change of pace. After making his way through the many attractions and booths, he eventually caught up with his targets: team RWBY. Who were also talking with some familiar faces.

Emerald was talking with Ruby and her team up front, while Mercury was hanging back and... sniffing his boot?

Deciding to risk it, (Y/n) made his way to Mercury and sneak up behind the gray-haired male.

(Y/n): "Hey." Was all he said.

Mercury jumped a bit at the surprise greeting before seeing it was him and narrowing his eyes a bit.

Mercury: "What do you want?" He asked suspiciously.

(Y/n): "Nothing much... just came to see how you're doing... hows that legs? They holding up good?" He asked with mock concern.

Mercury narrowed his eyes further at that before Emerald came into view and up to them.

Emerald: "Well, it's official: I hate my new-! Oh!" She started saying, before cutting herself off upon noticing (Y/n). "Um, hey! (Y-Y/n), right? What are you doing here?" She asked nervously.

(Y/n): "Just came to see how you kids are doing. After all... big baby couldn't get over the ass kicking I gave him during our own little match. Just wanted to see if you are able to keep up with everyone." He teasingly lied, causing Mercury to growl at him while Emerald snickered at that a bit.

Emerald: "Well, thanks, but we're good. Nice match you gave though. Where'd you learn such things?" She asked, trying to secretly probe some information as well.

(Y/n): "It's a very... special type of training. One that only I can learn... but for now, I should get going. Take care of yourselves." He answered as he waved them goodbye and walked past them. "Oh! But before I leave, there's one last thing I want to say." He added, gaining their attention. "Tell Cinder thanks for 'interesting' dance I had with her. I learned a great deal about you guy's real plans." He ominously said as he saw their eyes widen a bit with nervous looks as they hurried away from him to wherever.

Shaking his head at that, (Y/n) made his way into the crowd and eventually found team RWBY sitting at a booth about to order some food.

(Y/n): "Hey, mind if I join you?" He asked.

They all turned to him and gave him and gave him what looked like a normal smile, but (Y/n) could see the underlying signs of sympathy or pity under them, as well as some hesitance, perhaps due to the story he gave them on the night of explaining the galaxy history in its current time.

Ruby: "Hey (Y/n). Sure thing, grab a booth." She answered.

(Y/n) nodded and took a seat next to Blake on the end and joined in on team RWBY's conversation about their match before the cook of the stall, an old man asked for their orders. All the girls asked for what they wanted in their own way while (Y/n) asked for something average to see what this stalls food was like. After giving a grunt of acknowledgement, the old man zoomed back into the stall, before impossibly zooming back out with five bowls of noodles, one filled with fish that Blake practically drooled over for obvious reasons. Weiss then gave the old man a card as a means of payment for everyone.