The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 21

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

---------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

---------------------------------------------------------------

Somebody seen him hangin' around
At the old dance hall on the outskirts of town
He looked into her eyes when she stopped him to ask
If he wanted to dance; he had a face like a mask

Bob Dylan

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5—Meet on the Ledge
(Part 7...Conclusion)

Once more, it was Violet who saw her first. "Look, there's Gazelle again."

Yep, it was her all right, returning yet again to center stage. At once, the animals heading for the exits turned a swift about-face and started back for their seats.

"I was wondering why they never took down that microphone stand." Erin observed, pointing.

"Yeah, and what's in that envelope she's carrying?" Sue Cannon queried.

"What envelope?" Tawny Lloyd asked, peering closer with her nose twitching.

"There," the young bobcat answered, pointing with a clawed finger, "Tucked under her arm, do you see it...big manila envelope."

"Oh...oh yeah." the girl bunny nodded.

"Shhh, be quiet." It was Violet again. "She's getting ready to say something."

Taking the microphone in her hoof, Gazelle tapped it twice to check the volume and then began speaking. "Attention...Attention, please everyone," She gave the crowd a second to quiet down and then cleared her throat. "First, I want to thank you all once more for coming here today." She paused to let the audience respond, and then continued. "And now, before we wrap things up, I have one more announcement to make. Each year, the Zootopia Academy for the Performing Arts awards a scholarship—which, for some reason is named after me—to the applicant we judge to have turned in the day's best audition performance." Pausing once again, she pulled an embossed certificate from the envelope, holding it up for the crowd to see. "And by a unanimous decision, this year's Gazelle Scholarship is awarded to—Ms. Erin Janelle Hopps!"

It took a second or two for the news to register...and when it did, it hit like a tsunami.

"Oh, my GAW!" the young doe-bunny screamed. So did all her friends; so did Violet and little Cotton.

So did her mother...and then the waterworks were flowing all over again.

From day one, Erin had been bound and determined to make it into the Performing Arts Academy.

But never, not in her wildest dreams, had she imagined that she might win the Gazelle Scholarship. Oh sweet cheez n' crackers, this was no token honor; all tuition and books covered, a food and transportation allowance, and, best of all, free lodging; the use of a guest apartment on the second floor of Ainsley hall. It was all covered, all of it, every last penny.