The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 27

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

---------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5—Unintended Consequences
(Cont'd...Part 6)

"But anyway...good work, Wilde."

"Uhhh, can I get that in writing, Chief?"

"Don't push y' luck, fox."

Lieutenant Saw had been unavailable to take Nick's call, but Chief Bogo was at his desk, and had insisted on hearing his report immediately. Never one to buck too much authority, he'd complied without objection.

The next thing he said was a testament to his knowledge of just how far you could push the big Cape buffalo before backing off.

"Well...it's a pretty decent start Chief...but honestly, I don't know how close we're going to get to our suspect from this end."

A burst of static came over the line, a sound instantly recognizable to the fox as a snort of disdain—but not for his benefit, thank goodness.

"Yes, thanks to the ZYPD being just ever-so-helpful." Vinegar dripped from Bogo's every word as he spoke. "D'you know, I've already had my first complaint about you...an email from Zoo York City Police Commissioner Waghorn. Something about a scene you created at One Police Plaza..."

Nick grimaced and screwed his eyes shut, sincerely glad that this was an audio only call. Holy fox-trot, it was starting already. He could only hope that the ZPD Chief would have his back, as promised.

The next thing Bogo said had him pumping fist in the air.

"I read the first two lines and then deleted it. Crikey, after the way you bent over backwards to show you've NOT come to Zoo York to make trouble, you'd have thought they'd ease up a bit." Nick heard another burst of static, a sigh of frustration this time. "But no such luck, eh? Seems Waghorn's still determined to stonewall you; the blithering jerk."

There was only one correct answer to this, "Yes sir."

"Right, then," Bogo's voice faded slightly and he heard a rustling of papers before it came back again. "Where d'you go from here, Wilde?"

"Detective Pennanti's supposed to get hold of me later," Nick told him, choosing his words carefully, "He didn't say exactly what for; only that he needs to 'talk to a guy' about meeting with me sometime tomorrow."

"Hmmmm," Bogo mused, sounding both dubious and hopeful, "Has he got time to be helping you like that? Working as a PI is anything but casual labor, y'know."

Nick smiled even though he knew The Chief couldn't see him. "He said he's got nothing big on his plate at the moment and that Minkerton's owes him a ton of vacation time." Out of habit, he lowered his voice, "Just between you and me sir, I think he's hooked on this case."