The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 24

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5—Unintended Consequences
(Cont'd...Part 3)

One Police Plaza, Zoo York City – Sunday Morning.

"But I'm telling you I AM a police detective. Look, see? Here's my badge...hey, give that back!"

"Stop resisting or I will Taze you."

In the background, Nick could hear a hubbub of amused voices...mostly indiscernible, but every now and then a word or two would break through to the surface. "Detective..." "Yeah, right...!" "...believe this guy?" "...a fox!"

That last word was repeated several times over, and by several different cops...but always in the same tone of voice.

Holy foxtrot, Claudia had warned him to expect an unfriendly reception from the ZYPD, but he'd never imagined anything like this!

After checking into a Hare BNB, off Atlambtic Avenue, near the Bearclaw Center, Nick had been too exhausted from his flight to do any business. He had then discovered that he was also too hungry to sleep; airline food—meh!

Fortunately, there'd been a Shake Shack right around the corner from where he was staying. A 'Shroomburger and fries later, and feeling wonderfully revived, he'd returned straight to his pad. It was only then that the feeling he was being followed had come over him—and being a fox, he knew enough to take that sensation very seriously.

Hailing a cab, he had tossed the driver a twenty and told him to drive 'a few blocks anywhere fast'. Two streets later, and right after the cabbie turned a corner, he'd bailed and ducked into an alleyway. After that, there hadn't been long to wait. In the skip of a heartbeat, a coal-black Chevy Vole had glided quietly past his hiding place. Stepping out into the street again, Nick had watched as it zeroed in on the cab like a heat seeking missile—but at the same time keeping its distance.

That got rid of whatever lingering doubts he might have had; the Zoo York City Police Department was aware of his presence in their fair city...and they were not pleased to have him here. He'd suspected it ever since leaving the airport, but now he was sure. Oh yes...it had been Zoo York's Finest on his tail alright. Back in Zootopia, electrically powered vehicles were also becoming the conveyance of choice for shadowing suspects; their silent motors and unobtrusive appearance made them almost ideal for that purpose.

Oh well, it wasn't as if he hadn't been told to expect a cold welcome.

Cold—but not hot...and certainly not this hot.

"This is your final warning, fox," it was the bongo this time, "Cease resisting, or..."

Arising earlier than he'd planned—thank you jet-lag—Nick had elected to hold off on breakfast until later, settling instead on a blueberry cappuccino from the Squarrel Café, just up the street from his rental. After locating the Bearclaw Center subway station, he had given his map a quick study, and been delighted to find that the way to One Police Plaza was a direct, if somewhat circuitous route; no need to switch trains on the way.