The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 47

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 8: Everything You Know is Wrong
(Part 4...Cont'd)

"Strangely enough," Jack La Peigne had risen from his chair again, this time standing with his paw atop the antique brass globe, parked beside his desk. To Judy, he looked almost as if he was posing for a portrait. "In his own way, the Lewis boy was responsible for blowing the lid off the Granite Point scandal. It was in the course of investigating his escape that we learned of the abuses taking place there-almost stumbled upon them, really. The head of our Correctional Division was so horrified, he insisted on informing me fursonally...at two o'clock in the morning!" His paw fell away from the globe, clenching into a Gordian fist. "He was absolutely right to have done that Detective; I've never been so angry in all my life. I ordered the immediate closure of Granite Point and the suspension of everyone who worked there. The next thing I did was issue instructions that all files relative to the abuses taking place there were to be forwarded at once to the Zoo Jersey Penal Authorities...and hang the consequences. If there were going to be any civil or criminal penalties lodged against AKER because of Granite Point, then so be it."

"Except...WERE there any penalties?" Judy kept her thoughts to herself, but she couldn't keep them completely quiet. Had anyone gone to jail over that episode, had there been any fines to pay? What about lawsuits from angry parents? There must have been at least a few. She had no idea, but knew a couple of things, if nothing else. Granite Point was very much back in business, and AKER Correctional still had its contracts with the states of Zoo York and Zoo Jersey.

"...AND the City of Zootopia," her inner voice pointedly observed, nearly causing her to wince.

Well, she could talk about that later...maybe. That wasn't why she'd come here, and she'd given Jack La Peigne more than enough indulgence for one day.

"Yes, about the Lewis boy's breakout from Granite Point. He didn't pull off his escape from the Precinct-1 Jail without help from the outside-so may I assume that was also true of his flight from the AKER facility?"

La Peigne's reaction left her ready to be knocked over with a feather; he not only smiled, but actually grinned.

"Your assumption would be 110% correct Detective...and I'm glad you asked me that question. Were you aware that the Lewis boy's good friend, Wesley McCrodon is-or rather was-the great nephew of the notorious arms merchant, James 'The Mister' McCrodon?"

"I am," Judy answered, wondering what the heck this had to do with the price of carrots in China.

"All right, then." Jack sat himself down again, leaning across the desk on his elbows. He seemed pleased that she was aware of that fact. "But were you further aware that no sooner did Wez McCrodon begin serving his sentence, than his uncle started a campaign to secure his release?"