The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 57

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

-------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9: Conor's Story
(Continued...Part 8)

♪ There's a man goin' 'round takin' names
And he decides who to free and who to blame
Everybody won't be treated all the same
There'll be a golden ladder reachin' down
When the man comes around

The hairs on your arm will stand up
At the terror in each sip and in each sup
Will you partake of that last offered cup
Or disappear into the potter's ground?
When the man comes around ♫

Johnny Cash - When the Man Comes Around

-------------------------------------------------------------

Erin Hopps was in a quandary.

She had accomplished her mission. Somehow, she had managed to get Conor to the Mercy Star floating clinic, arriving at the last possible minute. Once there, he'd received the life-saving medical care he'd so desperately needed-and the prognosis was excellent; a full, if lengthy, recovery.

Finally, the young doe-bunny could breathe easy; her companion of these last few days was going to be alright. And now that Mr. Rodenberg had offered to represent her; she had no reason not to return to Precinct-1 and give herself up to the ZPD. Once the rat-attorney explained why she had run away from jail-that she'd had no-choice with Craig Guilford after her-the authorities understand, and they'd go easy on her. And when they learned the reason that the young coyote had been pursuing her-she'd been witness to a murder he'd committed-they might even drop the charges altogether. For sure, her sister Judy would be sympathetic, lawyer or no lawyer. It was a golden opportunity, and she should grab it like a winning sweepstakes ticket.

There was just one, itsy-bitsy little problem-she didn't want to.

Yes, Conor was going to be fine; his old self again, good as new. Only...not for a while; especially not where his knee was concerned. He was going to be on injured/reserve for at least the next two weeks, maybe more-probably more. And during that period, he'd be only partially mobile at best. How was he supposed to clean his residence, cook for himself, do any kind of repair work; what was he supposed to do if he ran low on provisions? Even uninjured, that silver-fox kid would be taking a huge risk, if he ventured out of...of...outside of wherever the heck he lived. Like it or not he was going to need someone to help take care of him-and like it or not, she was the only available candidate.

Erin knew, of course, that Charcoal-Boy's answer to any such suggestion would be a big, fat NO. And even if she could talk him into it, there was still the small matter of Vernon J. Rodenberg. For sure, HE would turn thumbs-down on the idea of her becoming Conor's nursemaid. Ohhhh, sweet cheez n' crackers...how the heck was she supposed to get the both of them on board? Erin Hopps was nobody's dumb bunny, but pulling this off was going to require some genius-level thinking.