The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 38

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

--------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

--------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7-The Cascade Effect
(Cont'd...Part 2)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Monday. 08:11 EST, Zoo York City, Zoo York

"Aggggh, grrrr....not again!"

"Still can't get through?" Martin Pennanti looked over from the driver's seat with a concerned expression on his face.

"No," Nick waved his cell as if attempting to get the fisher's attention, "Same message as before; 'All circuits are busy, please try your call again later.'" It was a good thing the windows were up, the fox reflected. Otherwise, he'd be tempted to pitch his cell-phone into oblivion.

Being a crepuscular species, he hadn't been bothered when Pennanti had called at 7 that morning, summoning him to a meeting. Or that is, he wouldn't have been bothered if it hadn't been for all the stinking jet lag; for him it was 5 AM right now. And the weather wasn't helping either; it was seriously muggy in Zoo York this morning. By mid-afternoon this place was going to make The Rainforest District seem like Tundratown. Well, at least his guide's car had air conditioning, but uhhh...why had he jumped on this assignment again?

"That's not so good, Nicky," Pennanti was frowning deeply, "Forgive me for stating the obvious, but you got something serious going on over there." He pointed at the car deck, where a song by an Italian rock band the fox had never heard of was playing.

♪ "Senza dirmi una parola
Sei fuggita all'improvviso
Hai capito forse che ti amo?" ♫

"Wanna check and see if there's anything on the news?" the fisher asked him.

Nick almost said yes, but then hesitated...he wouldn't need to report in until after the upcoming meeting.

"Mmmmm, noooo...I need to keep focused on the task ahead, if you know what I mean."

"Good mammal," Pennanti nodded approvingly, "Okay, now here's how this sit-down is going to work. After I introduce you, I'm gonna take off and leave you guys alone. Then you can start asking your questions. When you're done, call me on my cell and I'll come get you, got it?"

"Mmm, yeahhh," Nick answered slowly and dubiously, "Why do you need to leave us alone though?" So far, his companion's thoughts and ideas had been valuable in the extreme; it would have been useful to have him there.

"Coz my guy says so," Pennanti gave him a hard look, and then shrugged. "I dunno why, but if that's how he wants it, that's how he gets it; he's taking a big chance, even agreeing to meet with you." He sighed and rapped the steering wheel. "You may as well know, Nicky; the word's out at One Police Plaza-straight from the Commissioner's office no less-keep the fox in a holding pattern and keep your distance...or else."