The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 59

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9: Conor's Story
(Continued...Part 10)

♪ "Tonight, there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in this town
See me and the boys we don't like it
So we're getting up and going down

Hiding low, looking right to left
If you see us coming, I think it's best
To move away; do you hear what I say?
From under my breath

Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
Somewhere in the town
Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak
So don't you be around." ♫

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

------------------------------------------------------------------

He could have told his client; he knew.

"You can't get sentimental when you're planning a breakout, kid. It's one of the worst mistakes you can make, worrying about the guys you're leaving behind. You either stay focused on the plan and forget about everything else, or otherwise you're not going anywhere." He lifted his shoulders in a throwaway shrug, "Yeah, it's hard, but that's how it is."

Vern Rodenberg could have said that to Conor-except what would have been the point? The kid obviously HAD managed to put the schmaltz away. Otherwise, as the fugitive young silver fox had pointed out himself, they wouldn't be having this conversation.

But...that didn't mean the rat had nothing to offer him.

"I can give you some thoughts about that." He said, "I was witness to at least seven prison breaks while I was on the inside. Only two were successful...and none of them were completely successful. Every single one of those guys was eventually recaptured, but still..." he clasped his paws and tilted his head. "Before I get into that, I need to ask you something. By the way you talk about it, I'm getting the idea that you didn't think that breaking out of jail was gonna make you an instant hero to those other kids...eh, assuming you were able to pull it off. That so?"

Conor answered him with a vigorous nod. "Yeah, exactly. This was real life; not the Pawshank Redemption."

The grey rat chuckled, "I would have said Cool Hoof Luke myself. But you're right; the reaction to those breakouts I just mentioned was decidedly mixed. Some of the younger guys thought the runners were heroes, but the hard-cases hated their guts." Noting the curious look on Erin Hopps's face, he shifted his gaze in her direction. "I never saw, or heard, about a prison break that didn't end up with almost every mammal in the joint getting their privileges reduced, or even revoked." His eyes found Conor again. "Most of the prisoners took it in stride, except for the guys I just mentioned; but then ...they'd go off over just about anything. The lifers started taunting the guards about it, every chance they got; they had nothing more to lose, so why not? As for the wiseguys they couldn't have cared less; it had nothing to do with them." He smiled and raised a finger. "But would you believe...the ghetto boyz started a betting pool?"