The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 36

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

---------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6-The Children's Crusade
(Concluded...Part 7)

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rescue me, should I go wrong
If I dig too deep, if I stay too long

You wreck me, baby
Yeah, you break me in two
But you move me, honey
Yes, you do

Tom Petty-You Wreck Me

---------------------------------------------------------------

For maybe half a second, the ghost of a smile flitted across the young silver fox's muzzle-as if he'd been anticipating that question from the get-go.

"What we do is sit tight until it's dark," He said, and then nodded in the direction of the door, "and until things start to quiet down a little. And then what you need to do is get your tail back over to Precinct-1 and turn yourself in."

Erin had to mull that over for a second. It went without saying that she'd have to go back eventually. Given her druthers, she'd never have joined that jail-break in the first place. Still...she didn't like the idea of leaving Conor to his fate when he was hurting like this; it felt almost as if she'd be abandoning him. But if she was going to give herself up, wouldn't it be better not to wait? "Maybe...I should go now?" she suggested.

"I wouldn't," The fox in the other chair was wagging a finger, "There's a whole bunch of seriously angry cops out there right now. And it's daylight, like I said; you'll be grabbed before you can get anywhere near Precinct-1, and then probably get hauled off to one of the other districts-and then NOBODY'S gonna believe you were trying to turn yourself in when you got pinched." He shifted in his chair a little, his expression softening into sympathy. "I know, I know...you're worried that sister Judy and the rest of your family are gonna be worried about you. But if you get dragged off to the Rainforest District, or Outback Island, or wherever, it'll take 'em even longer to find you. Nope, it's better to hold off until after sundown before you turn yourself in. Trust me bunny girl, I know what I'm talking about."

She did, but again she had to wonder how he knew all this.

And, would he also know...? She didn't want to ask, but she had to.

"C-Conor...am...am I going to get in trouble for running away from jail like that?"

He smiled and shook his head. "Not when they see why you did it, Erin." By way of explanation, he pointed at his laptop. "I got it all on video; Craig chasing you through the jail, and then again, after you left Savanna Central Station. When the cops see that, they'll understand why you bolted. For sure, your sister Judy will. Don't worry, you'll be fine."