The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 26

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

--------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

--------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5—Unintended Consequences
(Cont'd...Part 5)

They were within easy walking distance of Roarkefeller Center, but Detective Pennanti insisted on driving...and there was no denying that he had the car for it, a gleaming-black Heardst/Coltsmobile with a 442 under the hood and the weirdest looking shift array Nick had ever seen. Luckily for him, the fisher had the driving skills to go with his ride; he was especially adept at weaving his way through gaps between vehicles driven by large mammals.

Not everyone on the road right then was as proficient as him. On East 45th, they watched a Lepus came barreling out of a parking garage and nearly run a motorcyclist right into the oncoming traffic. When they came to the next light, the rhebok on the motorbike jumped off his machine, threw down the kickstand, and proceeded to stick his face in the Lepus' driver's-side window, screaming his head off. He was ten seconds into his tirade when a female jaguar broke from the sidewalk, leapt onto his bike and took off at full throttle, nearly creaming a FerEx driver as she sped through the intersection against the light.

The response from the crowd of onlookers was a mixed bag of applause and rolling on the ground, laughing. The response from Nick Wilde was wide eyes and an even more wide open mouth. "Uhhhh..."

The reaction from Martin Pennanti was half a sigh, and half a groan of resignation, "Welcome to Zoo York, Nicky." He pulled out his cell phone and began to scroll.

"You're...not going to go after her?" the fox asked incredulously. His host's reply was delivered with a glare and a snarl.

"With all those jerks uptown who'd just love ANY excuse to take away my driver's license? I don't think so, paisan...Ahhh nuts, there goes the traffic-light. Here..." he passed the phone to Nick. "Hit that third number on speed-dial and hold it up to my face, wouldja?"

The fox did as he was asked. A short pause followed and then the fisher began to speak.

"That you, Joey? Oh, good. Yeah, it's me...listen, I just saw some jaguar-chick jack a motorcycle on 45th and Bark and take off westbound, might be making for the Lincoon Tunnel. License plate's 28BH68, Kowasaki Ninja..." his lips pulled back, revealing a fang. "Yeah, I'm sure; what other bike comes in that ugly green color—hmmm?" His eyes darted sideways at Nick for a second. "Yeah, that's right...why?" Whatever it was, it caused the fisher's grip to tighten on the steering wheel and made his brows flatline. "Ahhh, let 'im; I don't care what that bum thinks any more. Yeah, yeah...thanks for the warning anyway; I appreciate it. Ciao! Uhhh, you can take the phone away now, Nicky."

"Okay," the fox complied regarding his host expectantly, "Uhhh, do I want to know what that last part was all about?"

"No, but you need to," Pennanti replied, keeping his eyes on the road, "Seems Commissioner Wagfing...Waghorn is aware that you and I made contact." He flashed that sardonic smirk again. "I'd tell you what he had to say about it, but I don't know if you can handle that kinda language."