The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 28

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

---------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

---------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 5—Unintended Consequences
(Continued...Part 7)

"Hey, mind if I sit here?"

Before Erin Hopps had time to respond—or make a run for it—the coyote-girl had already taken the seat beside her.

That was the white-furred young bunny's first instinct; her second one was more reasoned...and not a little self-admonishing.

"Oh, sweet cheez n' crackers, what's the matter with me? I HUGGED this 'yote-girl yesterday!" She gave herself a mental slap.

Erin knew what was wrong of course, but it was something she didn't want to discuss, much less think about.

However, avoiding the subject might not be an option for her.

"Uh, s-sure, no problem," she stammered, trying and failing to meet Dana Alchesay's eyes.

A reaction like that was a hard thing to miss; nor was the young coyote about to pretend that she hadn't noticed.

"Okay," she said, leveling both her gaze and her voice, "Let's get this out of the way. Do you have a problem with my species, Hopps?"

"No, no!" Erin hurriedly raised her paws, "just with one coyote, a boy named Craig Guilford." She pointed away, towards the cellblock's entrance—and the hallway beyond, leading to the section reserved for young male offenders. "I heard he's locked up in the guys' jail."

Dana scratched at an ear with her foot.

"Mmmm, I don't know any Craig Guilford...but that last name sounds kinda familiar. Who is he?"

A moment of careful consideration on Erin's part followed. She needed to present her response without mentioning anyone's species. "Did you hear about those jerks who tried to dump a load of herbicide on the Carrot Days Festival, down in Bunnyburrow? That was the Guilford family; Craig was the lookout."

Dana's ear shot back and her lip curled upwards, exposing her teeth

"Oh, THOSE ma'ii! Yeah...I heard about them." She growled, and shook her head, muttering mostly to herself, "As if my species doesn't have a bad enough rep without some fool-dogs making it worse." She stopped, eyeing the bunny sitting next to her again, "What's his issue with you, though?"

Erin gave her the stripped down version. "My sister Judy's the officer who busted him. I...look, I know he can't get in here," she waved towards the entrance again, "but he's just the kind of jerk who'd take it out on ME if I ran into him."

"Ah, I get it," the coyote girl answered, her frosty expression thawing quickly into one of sympathy, "If you want I can have my boyfriend Jason go talk to him."