The Fire Triangle: Book II - Chapter 41

Cover pic, Vernon J. Rodenberg, Attorney at Law. Art by Ziegelzeig, colored by the author

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: Zootopia stories, characters, settings, and properties belong to the Walt Disney Co. This story is written under Fair Use Copyright laws.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fire Triangle

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Part Two:

Oxidizer

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 7-The Cascade Effect
(Cont'd...Part 5)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1549 Skippingstone Wharf, Canal District, Zootopia, 16:20 Hrs, ZST

"Conor can't die...he can't!"

"Don't worry Missy, he'll pull it on through; he's a right little battler, that fox."

Erin said nothing, but continued to pace the floor, eliciting a chorus of creaks and groans from the floorboard underneath; par the course in the Canal District.

The ride to get here had seemed to take longer than an Atlantic crossing; something the young, white-furred bunny wouldn't have experienced if she hadn't chosen to stowaway on Billy Mackenna's speedboat. Even now, she couldn't understand why she'd done it-and when the Tasmanian Tiger had pulled back the tarp to find her crouching beside the injured young silver fox, she'd expected him to blow a gasket. Instead, he'd only sighed and shaken his head.

"Lucky f' you, I didn't have to hit the throttles." he'd said, putting his paws on his hips, "Y'd have flown right off the stern, wouldn't yer?" And then, shrugging it off as if it were no big deal, he'd told her, "Well, s'long as yer here, y' might as well come and give us a paw with 'im."

Once again they'd used the tarp as a makeshift stretcher. That was when Toby Webb, the marsh rabbit who'd brought them here admitted that he didn't know if his sister was working today. She was, but what he'd also neglected to mention was that she was his semi-estranged sister. When she'd opened the door and seen who was there, she'd come that close to slamming it in his face. It was only after Erin had practically got down on her knees and begged her to help that she finally agreed to at least take a look at Conor.

That one look was all it took; she had immediately ushered the quartet of young animals into her office, instructing Erin and Billy to wait in the foyer and telling Toby to get his tail home right now. "You've got one hour, kid...and then I'm calling Mom."

The young marsh bunny had promptly bolted for the door, so fast he might have been fleeing from a burning building.

Toby's sister, whose name was Jeanne, had mellowed a little upon his departure-but only a little. Turning to speak to Erin and Billy she'd demanded to know exactly how Conor had come by his injuries. The younger bunny had responded perhaps a little too quickly. "He slipped and fell down some stairs in the rain,"