Chapter Twenty-Three: Jealousy

The day was Tuesday, and Angel and Leah were tired of being stuck in the house. The two decided to go to the mall, dragging Nova along with them as they felt she needed to get out too. Coming in after playing basketball, Kane and Sebastian noticed the girls getting ready and grew curious.

"Where you girls going?" Sebastian asked.

"The mall." Leah responded. "We've been cooped up in the house too long."

"I feel that." Kane sighed.

"Do you guys want to come with us?" Angel asked.

She knew she was just playing matchmaker but was trying not to be obvious about it.

Seb looked at Leah and smiled. "Sure."

"But we're all sweaty and smelly." Kane said.

"Go shower and change." Angel said. "We'll wait."

Seb and Kane both smiled.

"We'll be quick!" Seb said as the two ran upstairs.

Angel looked at Leah who was smiling, then at Nova who was staring at the floor. She looked nervous.

"Are you okay Nova?" Angel asked her friend.

"Hmm?" Nova looked at her wide-eyed. "Oh, yeah, I'm fine."

"It's okay if they come, right?" Leah asked the older female.

"Yeah, of course, I don't care." Nova replied.

She tried to act like she didn't care but in reality she did. She didn't care about Sebastian, but Kane made her nervous.

After about twenty minutes, both the boys were ready and the five of them made their way out of the house.

"I'll drive." Sebastian said.

"I call shot gun!" Leah exclaimed.

"No fair!" Nova pouted, forgetting the boys were around. "I'm the oldest, I should get it."

"Actually, I'm the oldest." Kane smirked.

Nova looked at the male, forgetting he was there.

"Right." Nova muttered.

"Since it's my car, I say the youngest gets shot gun." Sebastian grinned.

"Ha!" Leah exclaimed. "That's me!"

Leah climbed into the front passenger seat while Seb got into the driver's seat.

"Guess we're in the back." Kane said to Nova.

"Guess so." Nova muttered shyly.

Nova went to look at Angel who was already walking towards the car. Nova's eyes widened as she knew what was about to happen. To keep it from happening, she started running to the car. Angel hearing the pattering of running footsteps behind her started running too.

"Don't make me sit in the middle." Nova said as they were fighting over who got in the car first.

"You know him better than I do." Angel argued. "You should sit in the middle."

Nova kept up the fight but Angel was the first to get into the car, sliding to one side. Nova huffed before looking at Kane who was behind her watching what just went down.

"Do you want the window?" Kane asked her.

The female gulped. "No, it's okay. I'll sit in the middle."

Before the male could reply, the female quickly slid into the car, sliding as close to Angel as she could get. Kane got in last, shutting the door.

"Nova, I have like no room." Angel said, pushing the female. "Scoot over."

Being forced to scoot over, Nova scooted closer to Kane, her arm slightly touching his. She instantly moved her arm away and Kane just snickered.

"Is she always this awkward?" Kane asked, looking around Nova at Angel.

"Yup." Angel and Leah both answered in unison.

Nova just crossed her arms and scooted down. This was going to be a long trip.

---

It was later in the day. The five entered another store in the mall. Angel and Leah immediately ran over after seeing a cute top, leaving Nova and the two boys at the entrance. They started to look around, separating but still staying close enough to talk to each other, when a male suddenly came up to Nova.

"Hey." The male said.

Nova looked at the male beside her. She turned around to see nobody behind her, realizing the stranger was talking to her.

"Um, hello." She spoke quietly.

"I like your glasses." The male complimented.

Nova pushed her glasses up so they were sitting perfectly. "Th-Thanks."

Nova turned away to look at things when the male spoke again.

"Has anyone ever told you how cute you are?" The male said.

Nova's eyes widened as she looked at the male again.

"Are you saying that to me?" She wasn't used to compliments from strangers, unless they were about some nerdy thing she was into or wearing.

The male nodded with a smile. "Yeah, you're cute."

Nova was confused but she couldn't help but smile. She bit her lip, trying to keep her smile from showing. "Thank you."

"Can I give you my number?" The male asked Nova.

Nova froze. She didn't really know what to say but she gave him a single nod anyway. "Sure."

The male wrote down his number on the back of a receipt and handed it to her. He smiled before leaving the store. That's when Leah and Angel came up, all full of giddy.

"Did you just get his number?" Leah asked.

"I don't even know what just happened." Nova spoke honestly.

Meanwhile, Kane and Seb had witnessed the whole thing, and it only upset Kane. He stormed out of the store, causing Seb to run after him.

"Kane!" Sebastian stopped the male from getting too far.

"What?!" Kane asked, his anger apparent.

"It's just a number." Sebastian tried to calm him down. "He didn't even get her's. For all we know, she won't even contact him."

"Why wouldn't she?!" Kane asked. "He was tall and handsome and-"

"Something tells me he wasn't her type." Sebastian said.

Kane looked at his youngest friend who had a heartwarming smile. Kane's anger turned more into sadness than rage.

"He complimented her so easily." Kane sighed. "And she smiled so easily. I can't do either of those things."

Seb snickered. He knew that wasn't true. He's seen the way Nova's smiled at her interactions with Kane after they've happened. But he figured it was better for him to find that out on his own.

"I'm sure that's not true." Sebastian said.

Kane went to speak but was interrupted by the girls joining them.

"Everything okay?" Angel asked. "You guys left in a hurry."

Sebastian and Kane shared a look before Kane started walking away.

"Just fine." Sebastian told the girls. "Let's keep shopping."

Sebastian kept an eye on Kane but he could tell what happened affected him all day. Kane wasn't himself and he was only afraid of what would come next.

~Authors Note~

Hey guys! Sorry if this chapter was kind of short and boring, but it's a whole process lmao anyway! I hope you guys still enjoyed and I will see you in the next chapter. Biez!