Chapter Twenty-Five: The Heart-to-Heart

Nova exits the house and runs across the street, looking around the dark and empty park, until she spots a body sitting on the swings. She took a deep breath before making her way. She walks up behind the male and takes a seat on the swing beside him. Kane looks over to see the female before looking out into the darkness.

"I told you not to come." He said.

"No." Nova corrected. "You told me not to let any of the boys come. I'm not one of the boys."

Kane let out a single small snicker. He found her funny, but then went back to being mad at her.

"Why did you come here?" Kane asked.

"Everybody's worried, Kane." Nova spoke.

"You mean the boys are worried." Kane rolled his eyes. "You girls couldn't care less about where I was."

"That's not true." Nova said.

"Leah only cares because I'm Seb's friend." Kane assumed what she was getting at.

"What does Leah and Seb have to do with this?" Nova asked confused.

Kane looked at the female. "Because they are dating."

Nova's eyes widened. "They are?"

Kane's eyes widened when he realized the situation. "You didn't know?"

Nova shook her head.

"Oops." Kane said. "You didn't hear it from me."

Kane then got up and made his way onto the jungle gym, sitting down on the top of one of the slides. Nova followed and sat on top of the other, which was connected to the one Kane was sitting on.

"The park is pretty at night." Kane muttered, trying to distract himself.

Nova looked at the view, looking straight out. The night sky met with the edge of the park so beautifully. It gave her the words that had disappeared from her earlier. She looked at Kane before speaking.

"I didn't come because the boys wanted me to." She spoke. "I came because I care about you."

Kane looked at the female, shocked by her words. Then he realized how the whole day went and he scoffed, looking back at the night sky.

"Don't come here and tell me what I want to hear." Kane gritted his teeth. "I don't want you lying to me."

"I'm not." Nova said. You could hear the genuinity in her voice.

Kane watched as the female brought her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them as she rested her chin on top. She looked at the sand as she spilled her words.

"I don't crush easily." Nova confessed. "I've been hurt enough that I've learned not to. And I didn't think it was going to be a problem living with all of you guys, you all seemed annoying and like a bunch of meat heads. No offense."

"None taken." Kane replied before Nova continued.

"But then sharing a room with you..." Nova tried to express herself. That was something that didn't come easy to her. "You not only respected me in every way possible, you cared about me in ways your friends wouldn't have. You always notice the small things, and how awkward you always get trying to talk to me is kind of adorable."

Kane snickered and his smile was apparent, until he remembered something.

"If you thought all these things, how come you could never smile around me?" Kane asked the one question he's wanted to know all day. The one thought that caused the whole day to spiral downwards.

"I didn't do it in front of you because I like the awkward you." Nova confessed. "If you knew that you succeeded in making me smile, I was afraid you would get too confident."

"Are you saying I did succeed?" Kane asked, his eyes full of hope.

Nova nodded as she bit her lip. "Every time in fact. Pretty sure even Sebastian caught me smiling. I'm surprised he didn't tell you."

"That little-" Kane gritted his teeth before looking back at Nova. "So you knew I liked you this whole time. How come you never said anything back?"

"I was scared." Nova confessed.

"Because of Lexi and Oliver?!" Kane assumed. "Forget them! They-"

"No, not just them." Nova interrupted the male. "I was scared of what could happen. I haven't exactly had the best luck with relationships."

"Yeah, me neither." Kane scoffed. "I've only had one girlfriend and she cheated on me."

Nova's jaw dropped. She wasn't expecting that. "You're kidding me?"

"I am not." Kane shook his head. "Does that mean my bad luck in relationships is worse than your's?"

Nova snickered while Kane did too, before meeting each other's glances.

"I like you, Nova." Kane confessed. "And I want you to be my girlfriend."

Nova bit her lip and looked down as she thought about what he was saying. No matter her feelings for him, she was still scared of being hurt. That's when Kane lifted her chin, causing her to meet his eyes.

"I would never hurt you." Kane emphasized. "Or let anybody hurt you for that matter."

Nova found herself slightly smiling. "I know."

"Then forget Lexi and Oliver's thoughts." Kane said. "Seb and Leah already have."

"Yeah, I have some fights to pick with those two." Nova gritted her teeth as she was offended that her friend didn't tell her she was in a relationship.

Kane snickered. "I don't know your bad relationship luck, but if it's anything like mine, you can trust me to treat you right."

Nova looked at him. "How can you trust me not to do what your ex did, though?"

Kane looked down. "Because you are the most caring person I have ever met and I know you could never do such a thing to anybody."

Nova found herself smiling at his words. "Who would have thought I would have fallen for a guy I'm supposed to be rivals with."

Kane snickered. "Does that mean you'll be my girlfriend?"

Nova looked down at Kane's hands which were cupped together in his lap. She then took one in her hand and interlocked their fingers. She looked back up at him.

"Yeah, it does." She smiled.

Kane smiled back and squeezed her hand. She laid her head on his shoulder and the two enjoyed the night sky together, their hands interlocked, heading home before anyone got too worried.

~Authors Note~

Ahhh guys! This might have actually been my favorite chapter yet, I also know I'm going to kill my friend with this one oops. Anyway! I hope you guys enjoyed as much as I did and I will see you all soon! Biez!