• 32 •

K A I R A

K A I R A

“Kaira. Come here, look who's here." Rishab voiced me. I washed my tear stained face and went out of my room. “Kaiwa." I jerked with excitement when I heard a familiar voice. My eyes filled up, Sitara ran to me. I brought her in my arms. She snuggled in my neck,“I missed you." She sniffled,“I am sowwy, I was meany to you."

“Oh no, baby. You were never mean to me." I held her head. She giggled loudly when I jumped her lightly in my arms. “Thank god, I brought her here with me." Sakshi said.

I smiled,“Thanks." I sat on the couch, Sitara sat on my lap, playing with my locket. “oww..your medicines." Sitara searched through the bag and gave me a packet. “Thank you, my young lady." I kissed her cheek. She motioned me that she needed to tell me a secret. Her dada and I were the only two who knew about those moves.

“Excuse us."I took her with me to my room. She sat on the bed. “Daddy said to give you. But he awso said not to say you." She giggled behind her palm. My expression changed, I smiled shyly. Does he really care ?

“Why ?" I asked. She shrugged,“I don't know."she played with her toys. “I miss you. Please come back." I snapped my gaze at her. “Please. I miss you so much." She almost pleaded. I felt guilt, I looked down at my lap.

“Sitara let's go now." Sakshi told her standing at my room's door step. Sitara held me tightly,“NO NO NO. I won't weave Kaiwa."

“Don't trouble her,Sitara." I said calmly. “Yes, Sitara. Your daddy has ordered me to bring you back as soon as possible." Sakshi exclaimed. “B-But I wa-wanna be with hew. Please." She wailed.

“Please Sakshi, for some more minutes." She sighed but agreed,“alright but only fifteen minutes more and that is it." She walked away. “Hey, don't cry. I am so sorry, I miss you too. But I can not do anything. I am helpless. My hands are tied today, I can not take a step, it's about my self respect." I explained to her, even after knowing she would not understand my words. She was too young to understand me.

She rested her head on my stomach,“Baby moving." She spoke calmly while I caressed her hair. I hummed in response,“hmm. Do you wanna see the baby ?" She lifted her eyes,“Can I ?"

I smiled,“Yeah, once the baby is out, you can meet it." She gasped,“oh wow..when will he come ?" I chuckled,“After four more months." Then I realised I was so close to my delivery date. A weird fear crawled to my chest. I had heard how painful labour could be. I must be prepared for that.

“Are you scawed ?" She asked, frowning. I nodded with tears sliding down my cheek. She sat up,“Why ?"

“You know when baby will come na, it will hurt." I didn't know why I said that to the small girl. “Don't worry. I will tell daddy to hewp you. He will take your boo boo away." She giggled, clapping her hand.

Now how was I supposed to explain to this child that it's not possible for her dad to take my pain away? I will have to bear it alone, ALL ALONE. There would be no one to hold my hand and caress my hair while I would be giving birth to my child. There would be no one to sooth me or wipe my tears.

I kissed her forehead,“You will never hate me, right ?" She kissed my cheek, almost my nose,“Nuh. You miss daddy?" She said the last part very slowly. C'mon Kaira she is just a child not some adult. You can share with her.

I shook my head positively,“Yeah. More than I should. I miss his touch, I miss how he would calm me after scary dreams. He would take care of my cravings." I sadly let out a laugh,“but now I could not forget his words. Or else no one will value me, and I need to be thoughtful about my self respect." I didn't know what I was saying. I was just blurting everything, coming to my mind. As if she's gonna understand anyways, so whatever.

“Okay Sitara. Let's go. It's already time for us to leave." Sakshi said. I heard Sitara sniffling,“Pwease return back." I kissed her head,“I will try." My whisper broke a little.

My pregnancy hormones and mood swings were always there to mess up with my feelings and emotions.

I didn't like watching Sitara leaving with tears in her eyes. I suddenly missed her, it wasn't even a complete one hour and I was already missing her terribly.

“Kaira, come. The lunch is ready." I wiped my hand on my forehead, taking the hair strands back to hair. “I am not hungry. I will eat later." I shouted back. “Are you sure ?" Rishab was now at the doorstep. I hummed. He shrugged and walked away.

I closed the door and laid down, I fell asleep with tired eyes and a wet pillow.

I woke up with my phone's ringtone bursting my eardrums. Damn thing. I pepped from my sleepy eyes and noticed it was Sakshi.

I swiped up, accepting it.

“Hello ?"
“Hello, Kaira. Are you free ?" Sakshi's voice was worried.
“Yeah. What's wrong ?" I queried, I was wide awake.
“Actually, Tara's body is burning from high fever. She is just asking for you and crying. Mr. Das said if we don't call you, her health might get worse by crying. Please come !"
I got on my feet,“Shit ! I will be there in half an hour."

I threw my phone on the bed and immediately wore a scarf. I didn't care about my outfit. I barged out,“Rishab. Rishab. I am leaving, don't wait for me."

He yelled something but I was in a real hurry so I wasn't able to listen to what he was saying.

~to be continued~

{A/N}

Words : 1023
Published : 13 Apr 2022

Vote

Comment

Share

Follow for more

Writer,
Pratibha