CHAPTER 32:GHOST TOWN

Fast forward to the present, I thought dinner at the Andrew's would take only 30 minutes, but no I was wrong it took us an hour and a half to finish the whole dinner process ,at my house we mostly have pasta or pizza for dinner and that's it, but man do these rich people have about 50meals just for dinner, I feel reprehensive, Xavier called me about twelve times and sent twenty messages I couldn't pick up or respond to his messages at the time because I left my phone in my bag which was in the living room On the sofa, Holden is currently driving me over to Xavier's place and I can't help it but feel uptight.

" I know Xavier he'll discern, this wasn't all your fault don't worry " Holden assures me.

"I hope so", I keep on reciting the speech I'll tell Xavier when we arrive.

"We are here "

What! I was so caught up in my head I didn't notice that we are pulled up at Xavier's house.

"Are you coming with me?" I ask Holden.

"No am not, but I'll wait for you just incase." he muses.

I open the car door and walk towards their front door, my hands are getting sweaty each  step I take, I  ring the doorbell and wait for an answer, I ring it the second time and hear someone's footsteps approaching the door,The door swings open and a teenage blonde girl appears.

"Hi how are you " she mutters

"Am fine thanks and you"

"Am good, you must be amelia right, Xavier's girlfriend, we were eagerly waiting for you an hour ago,I forgot to introduce myself I'm elly Xavier's sister, let me go get Xavier" she says sternly .

I wait on the front porch for Xavier to arrive.

"You finally made it after the food got cold, you didn't tell me you were going to be late with your practice," says Xavier

" Am sorry I couldn't tell you what was going on earlier but the Andrews invited me for dinner at their place, I tried saying no but they continued  being adamant, I thought it would only take about thirty minutes and I was wrong it took more than that so I couldn't make it here on time"

"Is that it ?"

"Xavier what do you mean by is that it"

"What do you think of me Amelia"

"Where's all that coming from, w-what do you mean?" I retort

"Don't act like am not the only one who's noticing but you always choose him over me".

"Him who ?"

"Isn't  it Holden  we are talking  about? ,his the one who gets to know everything about you and yet i don't ,but you call me your boyfriend and you don't tell me stuff, you've been spending time with him for the past two weeks and you never make time for me, why can't you open up to me as you do with him,  am I not good enough for you? Why can't i be the one who holds your hand while you cry ? What is it that you tell holden  that you cant say to me ,everyone was excited to see you tonight but hey  you didn't show up on time"

"That's not the case Xavier, you're getting everything wrong , if there's anyone i chose its you because im currently with you and not anyone else".

"No am not “Xavier’s says and punches the  side of the door ,Damn his really angry.

"Am sorry Is all I can say for now I really mean it, I'll make it up to you next time "I mutter under my breath

"There's no next time "

"What do you mean there's no next time?"

"I mean this is it we are done , maybe you'd be happier with someone else ". Utters Xavier

I can feel tears rolling down my face, I know I didn't love him that way but it hurts to see him hurt, he was good to me and I always tear him down.

"Xavier just give me a chance to explain  " I implore.

"I'll ask you one question and please answer me truthfully "he muses while peering at me.

"I'll answer you  truthfully I promise"

"Do you feel anything for Holden?"  My heart skips a  beat  at his question, I  remain silent and  look at my feet.

"That's what I thought , We are done "

"Xavier  you don't  mean it do you "I muse feeling puzzled

" I mean it ,so just leave "

I walk away hoping he'd call me back and say he was kidding but he doesn't  bother, tears start   rolling down my face, I  arrive at where holden parked his car and get in .

"Amelia, why are you crying? what happened?" Holden questions

"He broke up with me", I mutter through sobs

"What how could he "

"Don't act like you didn't want this to happen it's all your fault, if only you would have backed me up earlier this couldn't have happened"

"I didn't think Xavier would react like this , its my fault  I'll try to talk to him ".

"Just take me home I rebuttal I'm not in the mood, you never feel bad for a damn soul, don't be sympathetic towards me,you've done more harm than good to me ". My heart's now a ghost town no one ever truly loves me ,I arrive home and see Vanessa laying on the couch, she soon notices me and seats up .

"Oh my god sweetie what happened, were you crying"

I sit beside her and lay on her shoulder.
She pats my back and pulls me to her chest," it's been long since I received a warm hug from my mother" I mumble, and she hugs me even tighter.

"Xavier broke up with me because I showed up late for dinner  where  I was supposed to meet his parents ,he said I always choose holden over him, I never thought it would hurt to let him go because I thought I didn't like him but I think I did but just not as much as I... "

"I know you're in love with holden I saw the way you look at him and vice versa, but how did you end up with Xavier?"

"Because he was good to me I didn't want to break his heart by rejecting him moreover  i deserve this"

"Here's something I should have told you before but I wasn't there, Don't make hasty decisions when it comes to relationships, finding someone who will stick around is very rare, I think this happened for a reason, you just couldn't keep leading on  Xavier do you think that's fair?"

" No not at all, I just thought Holden would be the one to ask me out instead of Xavier, but he has or had a girlfriend, sometimes he acts like he likes me and  he acts like he doesn't care it's hard to tell".

"Well if you love that person, learn to wait, maybe you aren't meant to be together now but meant to be in the future, pull yourself together and don't let all this break  you ,it should build you up and learn not to expect a lot from people, these things are bound to happen, we love ,We lose and we grow".

"Thanks, mum am glad you are here, I honestly say, I’m sorry for my awful attitude towards you".

" you don't have to thank me sweetie am the one who's supposed to be sorry for not being there when you needed me the most but am here to make amends ,I'll be here whenever you need me".

"You promise" I implore

"Yes pinkie-swear promise" she murmurs

I lay on her lap and curl myself in a ball.