Chapter 20

Hye-ji's POV

I let go of my ears as the chopper flew away. But Nam-ra kept her hands around me as I leaned to her.

"They abandoned us. Didn't they?" Hyo-ryeong was the first to speak after all that. "No one's coming to save us now?" She added, making me look down.

"But why did they do that?" Joon-young asked. He was right, it was not righto give them false hope, but I think the one's that should be blamed is their commander.

"Maybe they thought that all of us were already fucking zombies." Wu-jin said, making me look down. Could it possibly be because of me?

But Joon-young dismissed the thought. "Then they would've killed us. They wouldn't have left without killing us." He is right. Then why would they leave us here? There is one thing I'm sure of though, the officer is sorry.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Cheong-san kicked our fire...or the remains of our fire. Su-hyeok stopped him. "Yah, what are you doing, Cheong-san-ah." But Cheong-san shrugged Su-hyeok's hand off.

"It's pointless. No one's coming. No one else is coming." Cheong-san said before continuing to kick the SOS sign while shouting.

-------

I suddenly heard a loud noise, making me drop to the ground covering my ears. Nam-ra and Hyun-jin knelt beside me. "Hye-ji! Are you okay?" I heard Hyun-jin ask. "My ears hurt so much." I told them, squinting my eyes shut and covering my ears.

I heard a fabric tearing and after a while, Nam-ra gave me something, it's like an ear plug made out of green fabric. I then looked at her uniform. The sleeves on her wrists are torn.

I took it from her and put it in my ears. Though it didn't completely silenced the surroundings, it helped lessening the noise that I hear, so I smiled at her.

"Hey, looks like you don't need me anymore. You already have someone to take care of you now." Hyun-jin joked but I didn't like the joke so I just hit his arm and glared at him. It was like he was saying he's leaving me. I'll lose my mind if that happens.

After a few seconds, it started to rain. That's what I heard then, thunder. I hate thunders...I see Hyun-jin join the others, leaving me and Nam-ra alone.

I was covering my ears but I can still hear everything. The thunder. The rain. The cries of my friends. The cries of my brothers. Hearing them cry made me tear up too.

I suddenly felt Nam-ra's arms around me. I looked at her. "Hey Nam-ra." I told her, wincing after hearing the thunder.

"Hmm?" She hummed, looking at me. "Can you promise m something?" I asked her. "It depends, what is it?" She asked.

"If I turn, please let me go. Never look for me. Never run after me. I don't want to hurt you." I said, looking down and wincing once again after the thunder.

"No." She said. "Please. I promise, that once I'm okay. I'll find my way back to you. I promise you that. So please, promise me." I said, I saw tears building up in her eyes.

"I promise. I promise that I'll let you go if you turn. Promise to never run after you if you turn. And I promise to never forget you. But you have to come back to us." She told me, crying. Seeing this, tears started rushing out of my eyes as well.

-------

Joon-young, and Cheong-san discussed to us their plan. It doesn't sound bad. And Cheong-san was right. It is indeed better to die trying.

"If we manage to reach the mountain, we can make it all the way to Yangdong. I've been hiking there a few times before with my dad." On-jo said.

"Even still, isn't this suicide?" Wu-jin asked unsure of the plan. "I'm not going. I'm scared. What are we gonna do if the zombies catch us?" Hyo-ryeong also said.