Chapter 25

"I hope no one steps up anymore. Whatever happens...I hope no one sacrifices themselves." On-jo told Hyun-jin, when the student council president didn't speak, she continued.

"It's too hard living because of someone else. There's nothing we can do for them. Living life to the full honor of the person who died...it's too selfish. You can't die even if you want to. You lack the courage to live, but you can't die."

"Let's...let's talk a little later." Hyun-jin told the girl, looking at her. "Tomorrow or the day after. Or next week. After we eat and get ourselves clean. Huh? After all of this, we will have all the time we need." Hyun-jin told her, giving her a smile.

"Okay." On-jo agreed as she leaned her head on Hyun-jin's shoulder.

-------

Nam-ra is leaning her head on Hye-ji's shoulder as she closed her eyes, trying to rest. Unknown to her, the girl beside her is fighting against her zombie side.

I'm hungry. Eat them. Something inside her is telling her. 'No. I can't do that, they're my friends, my family.' She told herself.

Just a bite. The voice told her again as she tried fighting the symptoms of being a zombie, her bones cracking, her left eye turning red. 'Maybe I should've ate earlier. Maybe this stupid voice wouldn't be hungry right now.' She told herself.

Just bite them! The voice said again as she took a sharp breath, trying to calm herself, or her zombie self.

Eat her. The voice told her as she looked at the girl leaning on her.

It's okay. Eat her. I'm hungry. But before she can try to bite the class president, she snapped out of it and bit herself on her wrist.

Because of the sudden movement and sound of biting, Nam-ra opened her eyes to look at the girl. Seeing her bite herself. She looked around to see if anyone else saw, thankfully, no one did.

She placed one hand on the shoulder of Hye-ji, snapping Hye-ji out and releasing her wrist from her mouth. She looked at the bite mark she had left on herself. "No..." She mumbled.

Nam-ra quickly held her hand that she bit, her other hand still on Hye-ji's shoulder. "It's okay." She told Hye-ji.

"No. It's not okay." Hye-ji replied. "It is. If it happens again, bite me, not yourself." She told her. "No. I can't do that to you." Hye-ji said as she tried pushing Nam-ra off.

"If you bite me, I'll just become like you." Nam-ra said, tightening her hold on Hye-ji's hand. "I don't want to hurt you. I don't want to hurt any of you." She replied, tears streaming down her face.

"Shh. It's okay. You're okay." Nam-ra said, pecking the girl's forehead.

-------

Moments later, Mi-jin and Ha-ri came back to the group. Su-hyeok had given Hye-ji a piece of cloth she can use to cover her eye.

"No. It drops into the basement on that side, and there are exposed steel bars. So we can't jump down." Mi-jin explained. "That side faces the school, so there's no point." Ha-ri said.

"The ground is filled with zombies, so we'll die if we go down." Mi-jin continued. "There's a door on the first floor that leads to the mountain. I think we have to go that way." Ha-ri added. "But it's full of zombies in there." Dae-su said.

"Can't we reach the roof if we climb that and the windows? If someone goes to the roof ans screams, the zombies will follow. Then it'll empty out and the rest can escape." Cheong-san suggested. "I think that will work." Hyun-jin agreed.