t h i r t y o n e

May 1st 2017
Avengers Compound

Steve finally coming back was a breath of fresh air. Tony and the rest of the team, bedsides from Bruce who at this point, lived in his lab, and Clint, who was in retirement for the 97th time, were all attending a press conference in DC. Steve had told Ember he wasn't going, and that he already felt bad for leaving her alone for a few days and would stay to keep her company.

As soon as he got back, after showering. He began to prepare them dinner. He said they'd have it like a proper date, with candles and everything. He moved around the Avengers kitchen with ease, about 3 different pans going and something Ember had never even heard of cooking away in the oven, doing all this while still managing to hold a conversation with Ember.

She assumed the serum enhanced his concentration skills as well as everything else.

Steve claimed the meal he was cooking was something that originated from Italy. But she had never heard of it.

She could smell tomato's, garlic, and red wine. But that was about it.

"You ever considered giving up the Captain America name, and becoming a chef?" Ember teased, walking around the counter and lifting up the wooden spoon that was sat in the sizzling pan, filled with a tomato sauce flavoured with various different spices, before bringing it to her lips and letting her taste buds taste the heavenly flavours Steve had managed to create.

"You like it?" Steve grinned, watching her face light up as she tasted the sauce.

"Like it?" Her eyes widened, "Holy shit, Rogers. I want to eat this every day for the rest of my life."

Steve chuckled, "It can't be that good."

"It is!" Ember insisted, "I'm serious, you should start a Captain America food chain or something. People would eat this shit up!"

"They'd eat it up because it's food."

"Not what I meant."

Steve finished cooking and served the food, kissing Ember on the cheek as he walked over to the dining table and placed the plates on the surface.

His age showed when he pulled out the chair for Ember, and she teased him as she sat down.

They both devoured their food. Ember wasn't kidding when she said it was the best meal she had ever eaten in her entire life.

She helped him carry the dishes over to the sink, and dried them off and placed them in the cupboard after he washed them.

"Thanks for this, Steve." She smiled up at him. No teasing, no joking, completely genuine.

"It's no problem." Steve smiled softly back to her, his gaze meeting her eyes, "I love you, and you're worth it."

Embers heart dropped in her chest.

She nearly dropped the plate she was holding.

"What?" She asked, her words barley a whisper, her voice almost cracking.

By the looks of it, Steve hadn't really registered what he had said either. He looked confused at why her expression was the way it was. He has said what he said so naturally, and it has come as a complete shock to her.

You could see it in his face when he realisation of what he had said hit him.

"Jesus Christ." He cursed himself, "I— I'm sorry— I didn't mean it... No I did mean it, I did! You don't have to say it back. I wanted it to be special, I wanted to do it right, I—"

"No ones ever told me they loved me before." She whispered.

She had never cried in front of Steve, but if there was ever a time she was going to cry, now might be it.

The feelings she was feeling right now were overwhelming. Did he even mean it?

Steve put down the plate he was cleaning, and dried his hands with a cloth, before cupping her face with both of her hands.

"I love you." He said again. This time he felt relieved, as if it had been built up inside him for a long time, aching to be let out.

"You mean it?" She asked, her voice shaking slightly.

"Of course I fucking mean it," He laughed, "You're fucking incredible."

He sweared. Twice. He must have really meant it.

"You love me?"

"Of course I do. I'm in love with you."

Ember grinned. "I'm in love with you too."

An emotional smile spread over Steve's face, highlighting each and every single one of the facial features in his face that Ember loved so much.

Love.

She fucking loved him.

The next thing she felt was his lips against hers, in a passionate, adoring kiss. Like a kiss you only see in movies and would never in a million years expect to be able to experience in real life.

Steve pressed her body pressed up against the kitchen counter, her hands gripping the countertop to stop herself from falling over as their tongues danced.

Steve's finders were tangled in her hair as he kissed her desperately. He had wanted to tell her for so long. He had known for so long, and for someone who fought peoples worst nightmares every day, he still couldn't find the guts to tell a woman how he really felt.

He had never truly felt this before. The kind of love you would do anything to protect. He loved Peggy, yeah. But not like this. Every time he saw Ember, touched her, kissed her. Something was set off inside him. Something he couldn't quite explain. She was like a breath of fresh air. The sun beam lighting up his life, a life he hadn't really known was in total darkness until she was there to turn the light on for him.

People write villains as these horrid, ugly creatures, with large teeth, crude voices and goblin like ears. But in all honesty, a villain was only a villain if you made them one. There were no heroes, there was only protection, and there were no villains, you just had to find common ground to properly understand them.

Steve had never felt more light than in this moment. If he had to look back on his life for one single perfect moment, this would be it.

"You wanna take this to my bedroom?" Steve asked.

She could hear the nerves radiating from his voice.

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Positive." Steve said, shaking off the nerves with a soft smile, "Absolutely positive."

a/n
sorry for the smut cliffhanger don't hate me