Chapter 5 - what was your name again?

Rosie's POV:
Me and Amelia got out of her car after saying goodbye to her mum. I thanked her for the ride and the tickets because my parents were supposed to pick me up after and I wouldn't get a chance to then. We ambled through the crowds soaking in the atmosphere. There were a group of people chanting at the entrance, "Ellen White White White", so we joined in, laughing at eachother.

After we had entered the stadium, we went straight to get a hot chocolate because it was bloody freezing and kick off wasn't for another 20 minutes or so. Amelia insisted we both got large ones with marshmallows, cream and chocolate sprinkles and she paid for them even though I tried to protest.

My smile grew even wider when I saw where we were seated. We were behind the England bench. These tickets must have cost a fortune. It had taken us longer than expected to find our seats so as soon as we sat down, an announcement came on, "please stand for the national anthem of England!". Both me and Amelia sang our hearts out while laughing at how stupid we both looked. All the substitutes were sat down on the seats in front of us with big coats on to keep warm. I'm almost certain Georgia Stanway turned round and smiled at me but by the time I got Amelia's attention, she had turned back around, "I swear it was her!", "I think all the excitement has gone to your head" Amelia laughed at me.

The first half came and went with no goals. There were plenty of chances for England though so me and Amelia were up and down continuously when we thought it might just be a goal. Amelia had gone to get us more hot chocolates because after being sat for 45 minutes, our fingers felt like they were dropping off. While she was gone, I sat and stared at the pitch wishing I could play on it one day. The atmosphere was incredible from the drums to the chants and the singing. This really was a perfect birthday.

The second half was even more exciting than the first with even more chances and shots on goal. Finally England got a breakthrough and Ellen White scored a screamer in the top right corner.

In the 85th minute, Lucy Bronze was subbed off for Rachel Daly. She came off the field, grabbed a jacket and began walking up the stairs towards us. Well not really towards us, towards a few rows in front of us. She got to the edge of her row and looked up towards me and Amelia. She just stood and stared right at us for a good 10 seconds. It took me a while to even realise she was staring at us and nobody else so when I did, I immediately took off Amelia's coat and my hoodie and turned round so she could see my shirt. I turned back around to face her and realised she had changed her path of direction and was now definitely walking up the stairs towards us and only us. She sat on the aisle seat to the left of me and we just sat in silence to watch the final minutes. To be honest, I'm glad she didn't speak because I was too much in shock to even string together a simple "hi".

Lucy Bronze's POV:

Immediately after I had locked eyes with her, I knew it was Rosie. She was sat with a friend and she looked happy, I was glad. I couldn't let this opportunity go to waste so I went and sat next to her and her friend without saying anything. After the final whistle I began talking to her.

I began with a simple question, "so do you play football?". Rosie responded, "yes we play for our school". Her friend immediately interrupted by saying, "and she's the vice-captain and top scorer of all time". I was impressed and also thankful that she had the same talent as me even if I was a defender and she was an attacker by the sound of it. I replied, "oh, which school do you go to? The whole team are visiting one this week because it's apparently their last week of term". I could tell by their reaction that it was their school. Rosie turned to face Amelia and their mouths were wide open, "wait was that the big news that coach told you last night?". Amelia just nodded. I interrupted their conversation by saying, "how come you weren't there?". Rosie just hung her face as it went bright red. I could tell I had hit a nerve. She managed to stutter out, "I had to go home". I didn't understand why she reacted like that but I decided to let it go as I asked a question which I knew would confirm my theory, "what was your name again?".

Rosie's POV:
"Rosie and this is Amelia" I replied with. As soon as I said that, she let out a huge sigh of relief.

We spent a few more minutes talking before she called Lauren Hemp over and they both signed our shirts. Lucy came up to me and gave me a big hug goodbye and she whispered, "see you Monday". I smiled a genuine smile for the hundredth time today.

We had stayed talking for ages so the team followed us out of the stadium. They walked to their bus, Amelia got in her car after saying goodbye and I slowly dragged my feet to the last car in the carpark. I could tell by the way my dad was standing he wasn't happy.

"Where the fuck have you been?!" He bellowed at me. I responded with "shhh the England team are right there". He immediately struck back with, "don't tell me to shush you stupid girl. Where the fuck have you been?! It finished an hour ago!". I tried to tell him we were talking with some of the players but he didn't believe me. He grabbed me by my arm and threw me into the backseat.

As we reversed out of the car parking space, I could see a person looking shocked at what they had just witnessed. It was Lucy Bronze.